Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use super drive with a macbook

can I use super drive with a MacBook

Posted on May 6, 2016 8:48 AM

11 replies

May 6, 2016 8:53 AM in response to pauljbedford

What MacBook exactly? There's literally dozens of Macbook Models, including MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro.

Whether you can use it with one of them depends on the model, and year.

External Apple Branded Super-Drives, can only be used with Macs that do not have a built-in CD drive.

If you are talking about the new slim 12" inch MacBook with the single USB-C connector, you can, but you will need an adapter.

Before going any further, please identify your MacBook model

May 6, 2016 12:02 PM in response to Lanny

Well yes, but people call any Apple laptop a MacBook regardless of what it may be. Also, its not like people never post things meant for one forum in a completely unrelated one. So requesting clarification is not out of order.

I did also go on to say, that if they indeed meant the 12" MacBook it was possible. so I covered all the bases.

The longer you spend in these forums, the more you learn asking for clarification is always a good thing.

May 6, 2016 12:15 PM in response to Phil0124

Also, its not like people never post things meant for one forum in a completely unrelated one.

Sadly, that's always been an issue.

So requesting clarification is not out of order.

Didn't say that it was.

I did also go on to say, that if they indeed meant the 12" MacBook it was possible. so I covered all the bases.

Didn't say you didn't.

The longer you spend in these forums, the more you learn asking for clarification is always a good thing.

Been on the forums since 2002.

Just betting that the OP is not using a 6-10 year old MacBook, and has posted to the correct forum area. I could be wrong, maybe will see soon

🙂

May 7, 2016 4:19 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123, interestingly, this article contradicts what you found in Apple's shopping area, and confirms the SuperDrive would work with a 2015 (or presumably 2016) MacBook. (The article further clarifies that this only applies to SuperDrives manufactured in Fall 2010 or later.)

Mac computers that can use an Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

Can I use super drive with a macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.