Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen goes black during install

reinstalling over a current boot system drive (not wiping the drive first) on my Mac Pro. Running installer from an 8gb usb flash drive. About one hour into the process, after two automatic restarts, the screen has gone black with no activity showing at all. The cursur is still visible and responds to mouse input so the computer is not asleep/frozen/off etc etc. I'm sitting here waiting for something to happen.

I Expect my only option is to force a shut down and try again. What damage will have been done to my current system? Am I now looking at wiping the drive and starting from the beginning, something I was trying to avoid as I have clients breathing down my neck for deadlines and I've already spent two days diagnosing and cloning drives and preparing for a reinstall.

ANy chance I can try again with the 'quick' process and it will work or am I hosed?

thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), ATI Radeon 3870, 14GB RAM, 250GB

Posted on May 6, 2016 9:49 AM

1 reply

May 6, 2016 10:35 AM in response to Adam Mercado

Try the following KB Article links:

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

I Expect my only option is to force a shut down and try again. What damage will have been done to my current system?

Uknown. Sometimes nothing, other times a corrupted system. Since you apparently use your Mac Pro for "work" you have backups. Right?

User uploaded file

Screen goes black during install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.