Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Reference Movies on Windows PC?

Now that Quicktime is not a good idea on Windows, how do you handle a reference movie created by Quicktime Pro? I created a couple for my website years ago but the reference movie (which is of file type .MOV) can't be played with Windows 10 built-in Quicktime support. Is there an alternative to just forgetting about such movies?

-- Larry

PS: FYI, here is some info from a read-me created by Quicktime that explains a bit about reference movies for web sites.

----------------------------------------------------------

You have exported cliffdiversolo_web using QuickTime Pro. The following information will help you post this movie to your website.

In the same folder as this instructional HTML file, QuickTime Pro has placed various versions of your movie optimized for web-delivery. Also in that folder is a reference movie, which selects the best version for your users' various devices and connection speeds. By including this reference movie in your HTML page, you can ensure a quality video experience on your site.

---------------------------------------------

Posted on May 6, 2016 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 11:59 AM

The HTML page code generated by the Export for Web function of QuickTime Pro used special javascript files to call the browser plugin.

Since most browser plugins are now obsolete you need to rewrite the HTML code to comply with HTML 5 standards that don't require plugins.

2 replies

Quicktime Reference Movies on Windows PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.