Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic won't connect to the computer

HI,

i have an iPod classic, from 2005.

it will charge from the mains but when you plug It into the computer there's nothing... Doesn't make a sound, doesnt charge... Nothing, only thing that happens is that when you unplug it from the computer the screen lights up... tried all USB ports, still doesn't, tried 3 computers, doesnt work on any...

so I tried 2 more iPods, an iPod classic From 2004 and it worked fine. Tried an iPod nano from 2007 again worked absolutely fine...

really annoying me now as I want to sync music onto the classic...

tried resetting the iPod, tried running it in the other mode by holding home and menu button and Then the home and play button... neither of them worked either

Jake

iPod classic, From 2005

Posted on May 6, 2016 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 12:13 PM

When you "charge from the mains" (which I assume means from a power adapter of some type), are you using the same docking cable you use with the computer? When you connect the 2004 iPod and 2007 iPod nano to the computer, are you using the same USB docking cable used with the 2005 iPod?

Is the power adapter ("mains") an older charging accessory that supplies FireWire charging, not USB charging? Older charging accessories use FireWire charging instead of USB charging, which has a different voltage and uses different "pins" on the dock connector. An iPod from 2005 (probably a 5th gen iPod "video") connects to the computer using USB, but can charge using either USB or FireWire power.

If you can confirm that the USB docking cable used to connect the 2005 iPod is good, my guess is that the dock connector on the 2005 iPod is not connecting properly for USB power. It may be worn out or damaged. Therefore, it does not connect to the computer's USB port. However, it still connects for FireWire power, so it charges from the power adapter (which provides FireWire power).

Use a flashlight to look inside the iPod's dock connector, to visually check for damage, corrosion, dust, or debris.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Jakemorrismini

When you "charge from the mains" (which I assume means from a power adapter of some type), are you using the same docking cable you use with the computer? When you connect the 2004 iPod and 2007 iPod nano to the computer, are you using the same USB docking cable used with the 2005 iPod?

Is the power adapter ("mains") an older charging accessory that supplies FireWire charging, not USB charging? Older charging accessories use FireWire charging instead of USB charging, which has a different voltage and uses different "pins" on the dock connector. An iPod from 2005 (probably a 5th gen iPod "video") connects to the computer using USB, but can charge using either USB or FireWire power.

If you can confirm that the USB docking cable used to connect the 2005 iPod is good, my guess is that the dock connector on the 2005 iPod is not connecting properly for USB power. It may be worn out or damaged. Therefore, it does not connect to the computer's USB port. However, it still connects for FireWire power, so it charges from the power adapter (which provides FireWire power).

Use a flashlight to look inside the iPod's dock connector, to visually check for damage, corrosion, dust, or debris.

iPod classic won't connect to the computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.