Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Freezes Computer

I tried to connect my daughter's 1st gen shuffle to my computer. When I connected it not only did iTunes fail to recognize the iPod, it froze my screen and I had to disconnect the iPod to get my computer back to normal. I have tried different USB ports, restarting my computer and even used two different docks, nothing worked

I connected it last week and iTunes recognized the iPod.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this problem?

Thanks

Windows 8

Posted on May 6, 2016 11:42 AM

3 replies

May 6, 2016 11:52 AM in response to Roxton 2008

The likely cause is iTunes not being able to access the storage on the shuffle, so it "freezes" on the attempt (until you disconnect shuffle). The shuffle may be faulty or have data corruption.

If iTunes in not running, and you connect the shuffle, does it appear in Windows as a USB storage device?

I have tried different USB ports, restarting my computer and even used two different docks

The 1st gen shuffle (white plastic), connects directly to the USB port without a cable or dock, so what does "even used two different docks" mean?

May 6, 2016 3:22 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

The iPod appears in Windows as a USB storage device but I keep getting the message that the device is in use when I try to disconnect it.

The shuffle connects to the computer with a long USB cable that the device sits in. I have a newer shuffle that has a short USB cable that attaches directly to it.

I tried both with no success.

I forgot to mention that the iPod plays fine when disconnected from the computer.

Thanks for your help.

May 6, 2016 4:55 PM in response to Roxton 2008

The shuffle connects to the computer with a long USB cable that the device sits in.

That sounds like a 2nd gen shuffle. You need to use that USB docking cable, with a cradle for the shuffle and long cord. The ultra-short cable that comes with 3rd and 4th gen shuffle does not work with 2nd gen shuffle (connector is different).

NOTE: 1st gen shuffle is white, does not have a built-in clip, and looks like a USB flash drive (with a built-in USB plug).

Your other newer shuffle currently connects to iTunes without causing a similar problem?

The iPod appears in Windows as a USB storage device but I keep getting the message that the device is in use when I try to disconnect it.

That sounds normal, if iTunes is not running and the shuffle is acting like a USB flash drive. You can try reformatting the shuffle using Windows, like it's a USB flash drive. This will obviously erase the shuffle and its currently loaded songs. You can look up how to format drives using Windows, if you have not before. iTunes should not be running. For the format type (or file system), select FAT32 (not NTFS or exFAT). Do not use the option to do a quick format. The name you use for the volume does not matter, you can just call it IPOD.

After the shuffle is reformatted, it is completely blank. It does not have its onboard software, so you'll need to do a Restore on it using iTunes. Run iTunes. Hopefully, it no longer causes the "freeze" issue, and the shuffle appears in iTunes. Even if iTunes does not prompt you, do a Restore on it

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

NOTE: If the shuffle has a hardware problem, but it currently still plays music, it will no longer operate as an iPod after reformatting with Windows. If you are not able to use iTunes to Restore it, and then reload it with songs, you will have a non-functional iPod shuffle.

iPod Freezes Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.