Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac internal speakers and external speaker simultaneous

Dear All,

Is there any way to play iTunes radio through the internal speakers and also have a bluetooth or some sort of USB speaker enabled through the headphones or USB outputs so that both the internal speakers and an external speaker could broadcast simultaneously?

I want to play iTunes radio through the iMac speakers but have another speaker on the other side of the room to block out noise coming through an open window -- the motorcycles seem to be rumbling all summer because of a major intersection nearby.

Do the internal speakers have to be disconnected before an external bluetooth or other audio output/headphone connected speaker would work? I think the answer is no, but thought I'd check. An older post suggested using the utilities midi setup to set up internal and external, but I don't know if that will work for the latest iMac -- it also said there was a slight delay in the audio to the external speaker, and that would not be acceptable. Thanks.

I'm working with the iMac 5k with retina display, El Capitan 10.11.4.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 6, 2016 11:49 AM

2 replies

iMac internal speakers and external speaker simultaneous

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.