Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac frozen on login screen

Every time i turn on my iMac it loads up to the login window. I enter my password, it freezes then a apple logo appears computer restarts then freezes on login window

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Posted on May 7, 2016 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2016 7:44 AM

Not much information. I assume you have ElCapitan.

First do the "Pram reset":

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Try again.

When it still freezes:

Press the ON button to start and then press and hold the Shift key, it should start in the "SafeMode", it is slow, when you see the login window, login. After login, open Finder.

Does that work? If yes, restart normally.

If not: Restart while holding the CMD+R keys: it starts, slowly, in the "RecoveryPartition", choose DiskUtility form the menu, in ElCapitan click the FirstAid button, let it do its job, any messages?

in older OSX choose DiskUtility and do "repair permissions" and "repair disk".

Restart.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2016 7:44 AM in response to theiphone5sdude

Not much information. I assume you have ElCapitan.

First do the "Pram reset":

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Try again.

When it still freezes:

Press the ON button to start and then press and hold the Shift key, it should start in the "SafeMode", it is slow, when you see the login window, login. After login, open Finder.

Does that work? If yes, restart normally.

If not: Restart while holding the CMD+R keys: it starts, slowly, in the "RecoveryPartition", choose DiskUtility form the menu, in ElCapitan click the FirstAid button, let it do its job, any messages?

in older OSX choose DiskUtility and do "repair permissions" and "repair disk".

Restart.

May 7, 2016 7:43 AM in response to theiphone5sdude

Do you have a TimeMachine backup?

If yes go back into the RecoveryPartition, then from the main menu choose "restore from TimeMachine".

If that does not work, I suppose it is a really serious problem either the disk or something on the main board; and then a visit to the Apple Service is necessary: there is a so called Apple Hardware Test (AHT) for users, but is is rubbish: if it finds a fault, it says so, if it says all OK there still can be a hardware fault. Apple service have a very good and reliable hardware test.

iMac frozen on login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.