Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a English (Japan) keyboard in iOS?

I'm looking at the Keyboards menu in Settings, and there's a US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Singapore keyboards, which make sense because those languages are of course spoken there, but there's also an English keyboard for Japan? I can't really think of why Apple chose to give Japan a keyboard for a language that is neither and official language nor is widely spoken there at all. There are far more English speakers in many other countries that do not use it as an official language but Japan is the only non-officially-English-speaking country that has an English keyboard on iOS. There doesn't really seem to be much of a difference from the others using it. I know this isn't a very important question but it just had me very curious. Thank you!

iOS 9.3.1, No specific device, just newer iOS

Posted on May 7, 2016 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2016 7:28 PM

The rationale for having different English keyboards for different countries is normally that the countries have slightly different spelling rules (Spellcheck and autocorrect follow the keyboard). But I am unaware of anything like that for Japan.

ANother possibility is that this setting is for recognizing Japanese accented english dictation.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2016 7:28 PM in response to WolfPerfume

The rationale for having different English keyboards for different countries is normally that the countries have slightly different spelling rules (Spellcheck and autocorrect follow the keyboard). But I am unaware of anything like that for Japan.

ANother possibility is that this setting is for recognizing Japanese accented english dictation.

Why is there a English (Japan) keyboard in iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.