Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i need to reformat my SD card to use it on mac?

Hey everyone , i'm going to buy a macbook pro tommorow abd i'm switching from windows to mac for the first time and i need to check if i can be ok on mac . The thing i want to know is should i reformatt my camera memory card(it's a regular SD card that i use in my Canon camera) to be able to use it on mac? Because i needed to reformat my external hard drive (changed to exFat) to use it on mac and i wanted to know if i should do the same for the SDcard?

Thank you so much!

Posted on May 7, 2016 9:50 PM

4 replies

May 7, 2016 10:57 PM in response to layleighx

If for some reason you should need to attempt a reformat of a camera memory card

you may find best results from a reformat with card in the camera & use its software.

The computer or other device that can see the camera and its card (as a storage drive

if card is placed in standard card reader) should be able to work OK with that as - is.

I'd tried to erase and reformat a few different SD and CF memory cards, in part to

erase old files (do not secure overwrite an SSD or Flash memory with Disk Utility)

and found in one instance, the default format for an old Lumix camera was too old

for one of the Mac OS X options for PC (FAT16 was required, FAT32 too new) so

my first thought was to put the card into the camera; before I read about that cure.

Later, for the old camera, the only place locally to find spare old format SD cards to

work in the Lumix, was at (cough) walmart. Later ones were not backward compatible.

Some new memory cards may also need to be reformatted by a camera, for first use.

However those which cannot use an older format won't be able to re-format the card.

Also tried to reformat newer card for use in older camera. Not really a good idea.

{A fair way to create an additional backup is to not re-use the memory cards over again;

or keep the archive on the memory card as such, and create working copies from there.}

Some years ago I sought to transition to digital from film, bought a new computer to

find it failed, and had no support under AppleCare; nobody would help here because

I didn't buy from one of the few authorized resellers and Apple didn't want it sent back.

So I've a few cameras that are older now, but no real concern. + Tons of 35mm slides.

And a collection of film cameras, lenses, accessories, and some darkroom equipment.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 8, 2016 12:16 AM in response to layleighx

The thing i want to know is should i reformatt my camera memory card(it's a regular SD card that i use in my Canon camera) to be able to use it on mac?

No.

The card should only ever be reformatted in your camera, never by your Mac. Only the camera will create the correct folder format that the camera uses. Without that it just won't work in your camera.

Do i need to reformat my SD card to use it on mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.