Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks not syncing with iTunes

So several days ago, my books disappeared from my iTunes. I can still see everything in iBooks on my computer, but iTunes won't recognise them. Also iBooks from my computer is not syncing with my iphone and ipad, and for now the only way to read something is if I upload it to icloud drive and download it on the device.

Also in iTunes - there's no BOOKS tab, it appears only when I connect a device, that's when I see that the books are not in iTunes and i can't transfer them to the devices. Is there a way to make my books from iBooks, appear in iTunes?

I am running:

OS X El Capitan - version 10.11.4

iBooks - version 1.5

iTunes - version 12.3

Thanks!

OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on May 8, 2016 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2016 2:06 PM

Well after screwing around with this issue and realizing I have an iPad Pro (128GB/AT&T), I could easily load all these books w/o needing iCloud to hold them:

On the iMac:

Created a folder called EBooks - Put all my pubs and PDF's in it.

Opened iBooks and moved all of the content to EBooks - then deleted everything.

(*EBooks is now the backup folder)

Close iBooks

On the iPad:

Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive = OFF

Done on this device

On the iMac again:

Turn off iTunes completely

Apple > System Preferences > iCloud Drive > Options > Turn OFF iBooks > Done

Done with System Preferences

Open iBooks and your EBooks folder

Copy (Click+CMD if you're carry picking titles), then drag them to iBooks window

After all your titles are in - Re-launch iTunes

Open your device in iTunes - check the Settings > Book on the upper left of the file tree - VIOLA! BOOKS!

Go to the [On My Device] section of the tree, and you can now pick and choose what you want, or just select ALL.

Sync - you're done!

Hope this helps!

System info:

iMac Late 2013 (32GB RAM)

macOS, Sierra 10.12.1

iTunes 12.5.3.17

Books 1.7 (1253.16)

iPad Pro 128GB (AT&T LTE) MLQ32LL/A

iOS 10.1.1 (14B150)

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2016 2:06 PM in response to noti4ka

Well after screwing around with this issue and realizing I have an iPad Pro (128GB/AT&T), I could easily load all these books w/o needing iCloud to hold them:

On the iMac:

Created a folder called EBooks - Put all my pubs and PDF's in it.

Opened iBooks and moved all of the content to EBooks - then deleted everything.

(*EBooks is now the backup folder)

Close iBooks

On the iPad:

Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive = OFF

Done on this device

On the iMac again:

Turn off iTunes completely

Apple > System Preferences > iCloud Drive > Options > Turn OFF iBooks > Done

Done with System Preferences

Open iBooks and your EBooks folder

Copy (Click+CMD if you're carry picking titles), then drag them to iBooks window

After all your titles are in - Re-launch iTunes

Open your device in iTunes - check the Settings > Book on the upper left of the file tree - VIOLA! BOOKS!

Go to the [On My Device] section of the tree, and you can now pick and choose what you want, or just select ALL.

Sync - you're done!

Hope this helps!

System info:

iMac Late 2013 (32GB RAM)

macOS, Sierra 10.12.1

iTunes 12.5.3.17

Books 1.7 (1253.16)

iPad Pro 128GB (AT&T LTE) MLQ32LL/A

iOS 10.1.1 (14B150)

Jan 20, 2017 10:50 PM in response to Kaske

Kaske gave me a hint to my problem (thank you). Here's the trick, iBooks sync must be enabled in two places from what I can tell.

1. In iBooks' Settings

User uploaded file

2. And, in Settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive [options] -> iBooks

User uploaded file

I didn't need to restart iBooks on my Mac, but I did need to force quit it on my iPhone.

May 21, 2017 1:08 AM in response to Kaske

Thanks a lot for this how to guide Kaske, after 4+ hours on the phone with apple support with no luck at all this seemed to the trick. I still can't believe how what should be a simple task can be made so difficult and two apple platforms which are meant to be cross compatible can be closed off from each other in such a manner 😠

So after spending a large portion of my free weekend trying to rectify this issue I'm very thankful for your handy guide for this issue, I only hope Apple can see the light and fix this issue in the near future. Kindle is starting to look like a pretty attractive alternative after this experience 👿

Jun 29, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Tigervision

Can someone please answer a burning question for me... please.

When you enable ibooks in icloud (on Mac, system pref, icloud, more options)..... are you still suppose to see all your books in Itunes that are in ibooks when you phone is connected to itunes? I do not. I only see purchased books, but not my PDF's.

If I turn on ibooks on in mac settings, and sync my phone... I don't see the books from ibooks in Itunes when my phone is connected. Should I still see them? Or no?

If I add a PDF to ibooks with this ibook icloud setting on, then a new pdf dropped into ibooks shows on my phone. However, shouldn't I ALSO see them as options to sync to my phone when connected to itunes?

Thank you.

May 9, 2016 12:51 PM in response to noti4ka

Hi noti4kam,

The iBooks app is now controlling books on your Mac and iOS devices. The resources below will explain how to download or sync books:

Sync iBooks between your Mac and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Books you buy from the iBooks Store are available automatically on all of your Mac and iOS devices.

The iBooks app on your computer works just like iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you buy a book on your Mac or your iOS device, it’s automatically available through iTunes in the Cloud on all of your iOS devices and all of your Mac computers. You can also sync your bookmarks, notes, and collections across your devices.

Download books to your device

Items purchased on other devices or your Mac might appear in your library with a cloud icon in the upper-right corner. This shows that the item is available to download from iCloud, but isn't on your Mac or iOS device.

To download the item and start reading it, tap the book you want to read. The book will download and open after a few moments, depending on your connection speed.

If you don't see all of your purchased items in iBooks, check your settings.

See your purchased books

On your Mac

• Click Sort By in the upper-right corner of iBooks.
  • Click "Show iCloud Books" from the bottom of the pop-up menu.

Sync ePub, iBooks Author books, and PDF files with iBooks and iCloud

The first time that you open iBooks after you update to iOS 9.3 or OS X 10.11.4, you'll be prompted to use iCloud. If you don't see the prompt, you might need to set up iCloud Drive.

You can use iBooks and iCloud Drive to sync ePub, iBooks Author books, and PDF files so that you can access them on all of your devices. After you turn on iCloud Drive, all files automatically upload to iCloud*. Any ePub, iBooks Author book, or PDF file that you add to your iBooks library later also automatically upload to iCloud*.

Books purchased from the iBooks Store are not stored on iCloud Drive, but you can redownload them. Because they're not stored on iCloud Drive, they don't count against iCloud storage. Sample books and audiobooks don't sync with iCloud Drive.

Take care,

May 10, 2016 12:14 AM in response to judysings

Hi judysings

Thanks for your reply. Though I'm familiar with all the information and with me the problem is that if iBooks is working as iTunes for books - it doesn't sync with my devices anymore. Plus before it was syncing with iTunes (everything, not only the books that I bought ). So i was able to select which books I want on my device. Now it's not possible for some reason. iTunes deleted all the books on my devices twice already.

On the computer - I see all my books and PDFs in iBooks, but not in iTunes...and nothing is syncing.

Thanks,

Lilly

May 10, 2016 1:21 AM in response to noti4ka

So (for now) I solved the riddle!

I went to System Preferences -->iCloud -->iCloud Drive options -->unchecked iBooks and checked it again

That worked, because I got the question - if i want iBooks to sync with iCloud.

Now the books appear also in iTunes, so i can select what i need on my device.

I hope this info will help with anybody with the same problem!

Take care,

Lilly

iBooks not syncing with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.