Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable "Instant Hotspot?"

My kids have an ipad logged into my icloud account. They watch netflix on the ipad, which is fine, except due to the "instant hotspot" feature, they automatically log into my phone and set up a personal hotspot, destroying my data usage. I cannot turn off the personal hotspot and changing the password does not disable it. The only solution I have found is powering off my phone completely. Surely there is a way to disable this nuisance feature?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 8, 2016 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 1:20 PM

First, from apple device that Is activating phone hotspot without permission.

Settings

Wifi

Join the phone hotspot

disable Autojoin

Forget this Network

Second, from the hotspot phone itself:

Settings

General

Restrictions

On

see Allow Changes section

Cellular Data

Don’t Allow Changes for both

Cellular

Cellular Plan

It will still activate on your connected iCloud devices when you tell it to do so. To prevent its use by others not on your iCloud acct from activating it intentionally, change your hotspot password.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 1:20 PM in response to tmcgsharp

First, from apple device that Is activating phone hotspot without permission.

Settings

Wifi

Join the phone hotspot

disable Autojoin

Forget this Network

Second, from the hotspot phone itself:

Settings

General

Restrictions

On

see Allow Changes section

Cellular Data

Don’t Allow Changes for both

Cellular

Cellular Plan

It will still activate on your connected iCloud devices when you tell it to do so. To prevent its use by others not on your iCloud acct from activating it intentionally, change your hotspot password.

How do I disable "Instant Hotspot?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.