You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo size for Watch Face

I have been experimenting with using a photo for a watch face. While I'm not thrilled there is no way to do any complication customizing with the created face, I've been trying to find the best size for the photo to be so I can display as much of it as possible on the face.

Has anyone experimented any more than I may have, since I've only had my watch for a month, to see what size a photo needs to be in order to have it fully display on the watch face? I'm not looking for something with small detail, but if I wanted to post the photo of my dog for instance, if I wanted to see all of its face, or its entire body, what pixel dimensions would I use? I've created a special folder to save these photos to and sync directly to the phone/watch.

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.2

Posted on May 8, 2016 6:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2016 9:33 PM

Hi Chris

It is not necessary to manually resize a photo to the pixel dimensions used by Apple Watch.

Instead, in order to ensure that your photo watch face features your preferred content displayed in full, use a photo with a 4:5 aspect ratio. Pan and zoom this as desired, then sync it to your watch. The image will be resized automatically (in terms of pixels).

For example, when adding a photo from your iPhone:

When using a portrait format photo:

• Tap on Edit (upper-right).
  • Select the Crop tool, then choose the option for the 4:5 crop ratio (the screen ratio for Apple Watch).
  • Pan and zoom to position the image as you wish it to appear on the watch face, keeping in mind that the watch will display the time in the upper-right area of the watch face.
  • Tap on Done.
  • Add the photo to your watch via your Synced Album (it will be resized automatically on your watch in terms of pixels, whilst retaining the full content that you selected).
  • Select the photo for use as a Photo watch face.

If starting with a landscape format photo, first crop it into a portrait format before following the same steps (as the 4:5 crop ratio option will not otherwise be offered).

More information:

http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/iph96b1e322

http://www.cultofmac.com/390111/prep-photos-perfectly-for-your-custom-apple-watc h-face/

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2016 9:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris

It is not necessary to manually resize a photo to the pixel dimensions used by Apple Watch.

Instead, in order to ensure that your photo watch face features your preferred content displayed in full, use a photo with a 4:5 aspect ratio. Pan and zoom this as desired, then sync it to your watch. The image will be resized automatically (in terms of pixels).

For example, when adding a photo from your iPhone:

When using a portrait format photo:

• Tap on Edit (upper-right).
  • Select the Crop tool, then choose the option for the 4:5 crop ratio (the screen ratio for Apple Watch).
  • Pan and zoom to position the image as you wish it to appear on the watch face, keeping in mind that the watch will display the time in the upper-right area of the watch face.
  • Tap on Done.
  • Add the photo to your watch via your Synced Album (it will be resized automatically on your watch in terms of pixels, whilst retaining the full content that you selected).
  • Select the photo for use as a Photo watch face.

If starting with a landscape format photo, first crop it into a portrait format before following the same steps (as the 4:5 crop ratio option will not otherwise be offered).

More information:

http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/iph96b1e322

http://www.cultofmac.com/390111/prep-photos-perfectly-for-your-custom-apple-watc h-face/

May 8, 2016 9:32 PM in response to Jonathan UK

As always, thank you. I didn't realize that was what was needed. I can try that tomorrow, since I've already gotten things closed down for the night. Early day at the college tomorrow, final exam week too. I do know that with the original photo that I worked with, I was able to do a little zoom with the digital crown too, so that could also make a difference. I'll let you know tomorrow how it works. 🙂

Photo size for Watch Face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.