Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email attachments received open automatically

Hi to all who this way come...

iOS iPad Pro 12.9 128GB

Received emails with attachments

Attachments received via email are showing in the body of the email. I cannot select another app to open them. I have tried the long touch method and the response is "Copy Image". This is happening with various document types (PDFs, Word files, Excel files, etc.).

I would like the attachments to stay in the their file format and not open automatically. I prefer to open PDFs in Goodreader or EverNote. I don't want to "save an image". Also, I noticed that at least 3 PDFs that had multiple pages show up as one page and no easy method to see beyond page 1.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 9, 2016 8:01 AM

8 replies

May 9, 2016 3:25 PM in response to Videomanrw

I just tested this out and the long hold on mine allows me to essentially "copy" the file to a variety of apps installed on the device (even pdfs that "preview" in the mail message as you mentioned.) If you want the document to remain a PDF, just download and install the Adobe Acrobat App or anything you prefer and you can "copy" the file to the app without it turning into a picture. For images, you will get two options (Save image and Copy). If you want the image to be used in a different app, choose save image, save it to your photo library, then use the app's built in access to the photo library to gain access to the photo again. Hope this answers your question...

User uploaded file

May 9, 2016 8:44 PM in response to rccharles

I really appreciate your response, however this is not how mail is supposed to work. It should give app options. I have 4 iPads and an iPhone 6P as well as other iPhones that are not active with a carrier. Only my iPad Pro and one other iPhone have show this behavior. The others show a list of apps from which to choose. I do not particularly like other mail apps on iOS devices, so that would not be an option.

May 9, 2016 9:07 PM in response to r_scheid

Thanks for the detailed reply, however, this is a problem and it needs to be fixed. Some think that it is probably an app I have installed that has goofed up the Mail app's processing of attachments. I support about 80 iPads and 75 iPhones for the company I work for. This behavior is not consistent even with my own devices. An image is not the same as a PDF. In Goodreader I can annotate a PDF and make changes. An image is just a picture of a document. This is not acceptable for the work I do and the fact remains that it is a problem. Again, thank you.

May 9, 2016 9:16 PM in response to Videomanrw

I guess I didn't understand that your pdf attachments were being treated as images. It is also interesting that these same emails with the same attachments when checked with different devices will not respond the same way and will instead display the pdf as a pdf. Sounds like a simple clean reset and then restore a few apps at a time might help you find the culprit.

May 12, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Videomanrw

> Attachments received via email are showing in the body of the email.

Are attachment images showing up at the VERY END of the body, or within the body of the e-mail?

What e-mail client is being used to compose these e-mail?

What e-mail system is it being sent to?

How is the iOS device connecting to said e-mail system? iCloud, Exchange, Google, Yahoo!, Aol., Outlook.com, or IMAP?

Have you tried sending to your iOS:

1) different PDF?

2) using a different e-mail client>

3) different e-mail provider?

I can't reproduce your issue on my iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.1. PDF attachments show at the end of the body e-mail. I have to Tap To Download to open the PDF. Images appear at the end of the email body. I used Outlook 2013 on Windows 7 to send an e-mail to my Gmail and work e-mail Exchange. I also used iOS Mail to send attachments and images to itself. Can't reproduce.

Is it possible that the PDF "attachments" are actually images being sent? The PDF is somehow corrupted or not exactly a valid PDF. The other possibility is that iPad Pro with its large dimensions is doing something different with the Mail app that other hardware is not doing.

Aug 3, 2016 11:34 AM in response to Videomanrw

Did you ever find a solution? I am having the exact same problem with my iPad Pro and iPhone 6. The attachments open just fine on my laptop and desktop, so it seems to be isolated to iOS devices. This is very frustrating because I bought the iPad specifically for the purpose of editing PDF's and other documents....little good it does me to have only an "image" of the first page of multi-page documents.

email attachments received open automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.