Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan won't allow Canon MP620 to print

I just installed the new OS and now my Canon MP620 won't print. I get an error saying to download a driver. When I go to the Canon driver website, it says that there is no driver for my OS or that I don't need one. I've tried disconnecting the printer, restarting the computer, and removing the printer from the printer and scanner queue, but no luck so far. Does anyone have any other ideas?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 9, 2016 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2016 9:06 PM

Download whatever is the most-recent printer driver for your model from Canon and install it.

It's this re-installation that fixed my issue. Make sure you select the driver as your default in System Preferences > Printers &Scanners.

8 replies

May 9, 2016 9:54 PM in response to cbadry

When I try to add the printer, I get an error saying "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time.

In the error script is says:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Frameworks/BJCommand2.framework/Versions/A/BJ Command2

Referenced from: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Utilities/CIJAutoSetupTool.app/Contents/MacOS /CIJAutoSetupTool

Reason: image not found

May 10, 2016 8:35 PM in response to cbadry

The last update that Canon released for the MP620 was for OS X 10.9. This driver will install and function fine on OS X 10.11 so here is a link to that driver.

With the errors you are currently getting it suggests you have a driver conflict so I recommend you remove the Canon printer files currently installed on your Mac before you install the driver I have linked to above.

First step is to open Printers & Scanners and remove the current model printer.

Then you need to open Finder and select Go > Go to Folder. Then copy the following line of text and paste it into the Go field and then press the Go button.

/Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter

This will show you the contents of the Canon BJPrinter folder. Select all the folders here and trash them.

Now restart your Mac and when you have logged back in, run the driver installer I have linked to above. When that has completed you can add the printer again via Printers & Scanners. Now see if you can print without the error.

Note that if the Canon driver does not work then there is an alternate driver package known as Gutenprint. With this package installed you can then add the printer using the Gutenprint Canon MP620 driver.

Jul 6, 2016 7:03 AM in response to cbadry

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I tried all the advice here and I still cannot print. My computer does not even see the printer (either via direct USB plug in, if I plug the printer into my router or if I just go via wifi).

(1) I had to get a new wifi router so my network changed yesterday. However, I was always printing before directly to the printer regardless of wifi.

(2) When I download any of these programs I cannot chose where to install them. I found this weird. I had to go searching and searching to find them I only find the Canon driver. When I launch this I get "printer not detected" and then the program closes. I cannot find Gutenprint anywhere. How can find and delete this?

(3) I have done multiple restarts, checked cables etc etc. If I go to system preferences and printer settings no printer appears.

Any ideas? Need to print a lot so in a worse case I will have to buy a new printer. I have loved my Mp620 - any advice regarding the Canon Mx925? This at least has AirPrint for my iPAD.

Before investing I would like to see if this issue can be fixed.

Many thanks in advance for any tips!

Michael.

Jul 6, 2016 7:05 AM in response to PAHU

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I tried all the advice here and I still cannot print. My computer does not even see the printer (either via direct USB plug in, if I plug the printer into my router or if I just go via wifi).

(1) I had to get a new wifi router so my network changed yesterday. However, I was always printing before directly to the printer regardless of wifi.

(2) When I download any of these programs I cannot chose where to install them. I found this weird. I had to go searching and searching to find them I only find the Canon driver. When I launch this I get "printer not detected" and then the program closes. I cannot find Gutenprint anywhere. How can find and delete this?

(3) I have done multiple restarts, checked cables etc etc. If I go to system preferences and printer settings no printer appears.

Any ideas? Need to print a lot so in a worse case I will have to buy a new printer. I have loved my Mp620 - any advice regarding the Canon Mx925? This at least has AirPrint for my iPAD.

Before investing I would like to see if this issue can be fixed.

Many thanks in advance for any tips!

El Capitan won't allow Canon MP620 to print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.