Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install codecs without the player

Can you install just the codecs? Apple has ended support for Windows users but the codecs are all I should need. I may even dump my i-phone service over this. It appears to me that Apple turned their back on all the windows users and forgot that we still purchase Apple products. That's a gross over-site in my opinion.

Windows 8, NA

Posted on May 10, 2016 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 9:46 AM

Sorry to be a bit late, but in the QuickTime installer, under the custom installation menu there is an option to prevent the QuickTime player from being installed, and an option to install only 'QuickTime Essentials', which should just include the codecs required. I fear that other replies to this forum are either trolls or don't understand the problem domain - even the latest replies are talking about needing a different way to play your files when clearly you have stated over and over again that your editing software lacks the codecs to work with certain QuickTime formats. I have the same issue with video output from a piece of desktop recording software, which Premiere refuses to import. I would recommend that you don't install the player itself again considering the massive security flaws it already presents, but the codecs in QuickTime Essentials should be fine. Alternatively there is QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2 which offers a standalone installer separate from Apple itself.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2017 9:46 AM in response to joemorgan

Sorry to be a bit late, but in the QuickTime installer, under the custom installation menu there is an option to prevent the QuickTime player from being installed, and an option to install only 'QuickTime Essentials', which should just include the codecs required. I fear that other replies to this forum are either trolls or don't understand the problem domain - even the latest replies are talking about needing a different way to play your files when clearly you have stated over and over again that your editing software lacks the codecs to work with certain QuickTime formats. I have the same issue with video output from a piece of desktop recording software, which Premiere refuses to import. I would recommend that you don't install the player itself again considering the massive security flaws it already presents, but the codecs in QuickTime Essentials should be fine. Alternatively there is QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2 which offers a standalone installer separate from Apple itself.

May 10, 2016 5:23 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I appreciate your response QuickTimeKirt, however,

If QuickTime is 11 years old. How come QuickTime is still supported and works on a MAC?

I do video editing and a lot of my clients .mov files no longer import into editing my programs without conversion as a result. That's why I need the codecs. This is why I say Apple threw Windows uses under the bus.

That and anyone who has a Camera that captures video using mov. Cannon, Nikon, and more can be effected by this. The way I see it Apple even turned it's back on all the manufactures of Camera equipment that sell their products to Windows users.

May 10, 2016 6:23 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

What makes you think installing a player will fix my mov importing problems??? It's the software that has been rendered less than ideal that I'm not pleased about. Apple also thumbed their nose at software manufactures as well.

I can play any video I want. I've been using Media Player Classic for several years now.

Apples QuickTime player has always opened off centered and partially off-screen on all my windows machines. I never used the QuickTime player because of it. Apple never addressed that problem either. It's a widely reported bug in this very forum dating back years.

May 10, 2016 6:43 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

And let me expand on this as well. All of my QuickTime movie animations with transparency have been rendered useless after removing QuickTime.

I created these animations in After Effects and invested a ton of hours creating some of them. The more I think about it. I will definitely dump my I-phone as soon as my contract expires. Thanks for the memories Apple, now say goodby!

May 10, 2016 11:24 AM in response to joemorgan

RIP QuickTime for Windows. Apple is "deprecating support" for the application, and will no longer patch security flaws in the software.

In this regard, QuickTime for Windows now joins Microsoft Windows XP and Oracle Java 6 as software that is no longer being updated to fix vulnerabilities, and subject to ever-increasing risk as more and more unpatched vulnerabilities are found affecting it.

So, Windows users should uninstall Quicktime. How to do so is detailed here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205771

Mac OS users should not do so as the security risks that have prompted this do not affect the Apple OS.

May 14, 2016 3:02 AM in response to Klaus1

Mac OS users should not do so as the security risks that have prompted this do not affect the Apple OS.

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT.

Apple threw Windows users under the bus. Windows users have a lot of cameras and camcorders that use the mov codec. Not to mention movies they created with the QuickTime codec.

I for one encourage all windows users to throw their I-phones in the electronics scrap bin. Apple has proven they don't care about Windows users and they must think we will all run out and buy an over priced MAC. Dream on Apple.

May 14, 2016 6:36 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

As I have stated above. My complaint has to do with video editing and the editing programs that will not import .mov movies. A video player cannot resolve this. I also have a lot of videos with transparent backgrounds created with the animation codec. I cannot even convert then into another format.

So once again for all the windows users to read.

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT.

Apple threw Windows users under the bus. Windows users have a lot of cameras and camcorders that use the mov codec. Not to mention movies they created with the QuickTime codec.

I for one encourage all windows users to throw their I-phones in the electronics scrap bin. Apple has proven they don't care about Windows users and they must think we will all run out and buy an over priced MAC. Dream on Apple.

May 14, 2016 7:22 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

No it cannot. Why, because you cannot open the file without quicktime installed.

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT.

Install codecs without the player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.