Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone able to run Adobe CS5 with El Capitan now? I have read about problems with Illustrator and photoshop but these seem to be in Octobe5 2015. Has it improved at all? I need to upgrade as I'm running a v old OS but I need to run CS5.

I have read about problems with Illustrator and photoshop on EL Capitan but these seem to be in October 2015. Has it improved at all? I need to upgrade as I'm running a v old OS but I need to run CS5. Can't afford to go to CC. I have a Macbook Pro.

Posted on May 11, 2016 4:14 AM

16 replies

May 11, 2016 5:07 AM in response to Lazza03

CS5 and 10.11 are not supported and will never be supported by either Adobe or Apple.

However it works for some, most in fact, but not all. There are sporadic issues with Illustrator, Photoshop appears to be better. Do not expect an improvement and keep in mind no one from Adobe, Apple or anywhere else will fix it.

Do a clean install

Make sure you have the Apple Java

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

make sure you have your serial # and if you run into issues with the serial or the serialization though the web server adobe will not support your issue.

update the application through photoshop.

May 11, 2016 6:11 AM in response to Lazza03

Lazza03 wrote:

but I need to run CS5. Can't afford to go to CC.

I would seriously consider looking at alternative vector artwork packages. I recommend Affinity Designer, which is a very capable, professional replacement for Illustrator, and is on the Mac App Store for a tiny fraction of the money you would pay Adobe. It might require a little learning, but it is designed with Creative Suite users in mind. There is also Affinity Photo as a Photoshop replacement.

(Of course, there are other equally competent apps, such as iDraw and Pixelmaker.)

Staying on an old OS and using increasingly ancient unsupported software, when there are viable alternatives, is not ideal. And the days when it was Adobe or nothing are over, thanks to the "software rental" model.

May 11, 2016 6:15 AM in response to benwiggy

Thank you, I was wondering what the alternatives are. I mainly use Photoshop and Indesign but as an old fashioned artist (with actual paints) I don't use either often enough to justify the cost although I will need them occasionally for touching up and the odd design job. I guess it depends what I can use with client's software.

May 11, 2016 6:19 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thank you. What is a clean install (I am not a techie person). Can't upload the java as my OS is too old! I guess I will have to do it once the new OS is on.

The reason I haven't done this before is because Mavericks wasn't compatable with my printer and scanner which I guess I will now have to update even though they work fine on this OS..............so infuriating when mechanically they are fine. They are both A3 so not cheap to replace.

May 11, 2016 6:52 AM in response to Lazza03

a clean install is just that, you install after you update your OS (instead of having it on there already the updating the OS and it's already on there after)

if you have a computer that does not already have CS5 on it you would "clean install" it

if you have a computer that already HAS CS5 on it and you upgrade and CS5 doesn't work after the upgrade you should uninstall it using this

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs5clean.html

then resintall

then install the Java from Apple in the link I provided you earlier

then run phtoshop

then go to Help>Check for Updates...

and run all the updates for the suite.

May 11, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Lazza03

It might work without it, in fact if it doesn't seem to work you can sometimes create a new user (admin) account, boot to that account and it will open

or (slightly easer) hold down SHIFT+CMD+OPT+CTRL while clicking the PS or AI or ID icons in their original folder (not the doc and not a shortcut) and if you do this right you will be prompted to reset the preferences files. This sometimes cures CSx falling to boot up in Mac and Windows.

Is anyone able to run Adobe CS5 with El Capitan now? I have read about problems with Illustrator and photoshop but these seem to be in Octobe5 2015. Has it improved at all? I need to upgrade as I'm running a v old OS but I need to run CS5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.