Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE mic volume

I just got my new SE. On all the calls I have made, the people on the other side have asked "What!?!?" Like they could not here me.

Is there a setting for the internal voice mic? Is there a known issue?

I should say that I have a Lifeproof phone cover, from my iPhone 5. I have a number of issues with this, but I wonder how it interferes with the communication. I have tried calls through a wired headset, and the car bluetooth, and well as just into the phone. I had complaints for the bluetooth and the headset, but I had had no problems with these same devices on the iPhone 5. Just adding this for fodder.

iPhone SE, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 11, 2016 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2016 12:18 PM

Howdy kc0olm,

If people are unable to clearly hear you when making phone calls, the article linked below details a number of troubleshooting steps that can help make sure that the microphones on your iPhone are working correctly.

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

Additionally, as the issue appears to affect calls made when using a wired headset and Bluetooth devices, the issue may be software related. In such a case it can help to force close all open apps and restart your iPhone.

Force an app to close in iOS
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5137

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1430

If you still cannot be heard clearly, the next step would be to reinstall iOS on your device by placing it in Recovery Mode, then choosing Update in iTunes. Prior to doing so, it's always a good idea to make sure that you've got a backup made.

1. Make sure that you have iTunes 12 or later on your computer.
  2. Put your device in recovery mode.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, select Update. This will reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

Sincerely

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2016 12:18 PM in response to kc0olm

Howdy kc0olm,

If people are unable to clearly hear you when making phone calls, the article linked below details a number of troubleshooting steps that can help make sure that the microphones on your iPhone are working correctly.

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

Additionally, as the issue appears to affect calls made when using a wired headset and Bluetooth devices, the issue may be software related. In such a case it can help to force close all open apps and restart your iPhone.

Force an app to close in iOS
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5137

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1430

If you still cannot be heard clearly, the next step would be to reinstall iOS on your device by placing it in Recovery Mode, then choosing Update in iTunes. Prior to doing so, it's always a good idea to make sure that you've got a backup made.

1. Make sure that you have iTunes 12 or later on your computer.
  2. Put your device in recovery mode.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, select Update. This will reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

Sincerely

Jan 3, 2017 8:05 PM in response to kc0olm

I found changing the case helped, but it isn't obvious why, because the main mic is not blocked by either case.

There are 2 mics on the SE. One on the bottom, left of the charging port, and one on the back, next to the camera. If you use a "diary" case, and fold the cover back, this blocks the back mic, which I presume is used for noise reduction.

Apr 12, 2017 8:03 PM in response to John Zwiebel

I got rid of the diary case.

The problem still exists

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple Support today.

There are suppose to be 3 mics on the system.

• One on the back between the camera and the flash. When the diary case was used this one got covered
  • One inside the earpiece,
  • One next to the earphone jack

When not holding the phone up to my ear, it works "just fine".

When I put it up to my ear the angle I hold the phone really makes a huge difference.

If the phone is at 0 degrees (straight up and down), the mic does not pick up my voice

If the phone is at about 45 degrees (so I can see the home button out of the corner of my eye) it works fine.

When I use the "voice memo" application, the position of the phone does not change the response of the mic. Works great.

I've also tried to turn off "noise cancellation" and there is no effect.

So, bottom line, the problem only happens when I'm making a phone call and holding the phone up to my ear (not using speaker phone) and only if the phone is at 0 degrees (or straight up and down). If I can see the "home button" out of the corner of my eye, it works fine.

Mar 20, 2017 11:14 PM in response to kc0olm

This iPhone is crap! I have had the iPhone SE replaced 3 times in a month, replaced the SIM card and tried a SIM from another carrier. I've factory reset the device, backed up and restored a working iPhone 5, re-initialised the phone on a different carrier and the net result is the phone is rubbish. And it isn't about the case. In the case, out of the case, the primary microphone doesn't work properly.

All the people at the Apple Store have been great and tried very much to help, but after the 3rd handset they had to give up. Because...the microphone just doesn't work on this iPhone. Maybe its a batch issue, or maybe its a design flaw, but if you have this problem, as difficult as it is, you will have to accept that Apple have made a poor product.

Apr 7, 2017 10:37 AM in response to Sir_HARDCORE

After upgrading in ios 10 i am dealing with a problem when i make or i receive calls. When i answer the call the counter starts but neither me or the caller can't listen anything. A temporary solution is to activate and immediately deactivate the speaker and then everything works fine. Making a reset of the phone fix the problem only for a while. I tried restore and set it up as new but no luck. Any ideas?

Nov 7, 2017 3:16 AM in response to John Zwiebel

Hi!

I put a finger between the cover flap when wrapping it to the back while talking.

But still: when using the corded head-set the SE came with, I feel the level of sound that gets delivered to the other side of the phone call is about 2-3 times as much compared to the internal microphone. Though I personally find the sound clear and OK when I test-phone myself.

I unwrapped the phone from its protective case, which often helps, but today not. This is why I called support, and they said I would have to do backup, factory default, best with itunes via usb, and do test calls in "naked state" without doing any apps or settings. Wow, what a waste of time.

Strange enough, when having the "huh?"-Problem, when I switch to loudspeaker, hands-free mode, they say they can hear me well enough.

As if some configuration is just set to a mic amplification level way to low.

It persists when doing updates of iOs.

Just call your answering "machine".

I use the box of my router, which is hooked-up via VOIP with HD quality codec, and itself records calls in a good quality, and offers me the files for download or email forwarding.

Just don't use one that compresses the audio to near nothingness like my cell provider does. You can hear a lot of compression artefacts when listening to mp3's of telekom (my provider) voice box recordings.

Do bla bla bla in the microphone with 6cm distance to the edge of your mouth, e.g., and then while talking plug in the apple headset your phone came with holding the cable in roughly the same distance to the edge of your mouth.

Again while talking unplug the headset after veryfying the distances of both mics to the edge of your mouth are the same.

Afterwards you can load the audio file in garageband or any other audio editor and search for the plug and unplug moment. Write down the times. Show it to tech or send email to apple documenting the sound.

I feel that the incident "muffled sound" for some people could be quite rare, so this would mean you have to have a flatrate and a answering machine that is quite well equiped with storage (fritzbox can use usb sticks 😉 ) and a lot of spare time to do a big bunch of monologues.

You could, more realistically, catch it when it happens: if the one your are talking to complains about muffled sound or way to low sound level, put him or she on hold and dial your voice box or answering machine number or that of a friend, and make a conference call. By this hopefully the real feedback can be recorded, which is way better than calling yourself, because you yourself do not have to do speech recognition or your test-bla-bla 😉

Look up what your provider charges for conferences beforehand, please.

I searched for some app to record the microphone while talking, but existing apps do not record mic directly, but rather make a conference automatically just in the same way you do manually, but want money for the service, which is ok if you don't have a voice mailbox available. (I.e., no one needs the service;)

Hope it helped.

Andi

Oct 31, 2016 12:15 PM in response to kc0olm

I have the same problem with my SE, thay can't hear me and hang up.

I have re-installed the OS (Current Version.) no luck...

I took my phone to an Apple store. They replaced the phone, The new phone worked OK at the store,I think. I had five dot/bar cell connection in the store. But when I got home with my usual 1-2 cell connection I had the same problem with people not hearing me.

I don't know! Is it the cell connection strength. Perhaps the shape of my face. All I know is I spent about $500 for a phone and my AT&T bill went from $45 to $80 per month and I can't make phone calls. LOL...

Dec 12, 2016 8:03 AM in response to kc0olm

Same here ...

iPhone SE 64, still under iOS 9

All ... i mean all people i am talking to, are asking me to use another phone, because the speech quality is just too bad and they won't understand me properly, until i turn it with the backend to my mouth speaking directly to the mic, which is rather frustrating and embarassing. Furthermore i can't here what others say to me. This is pretty much not acceptable, due to the fact that i use this device for business purposes and not to play around with. I had an interview beeing interrupted therefore.

I will try the newest iOs Software, but i am rather sceptical if it will work ...

iPhone SE mic volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.