Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S says 4G instead of LTE? ...

We have 4 AT&T 5S users in the family. 3 of the 4 always say "LTE" in the status bar area. And we have good LTE coverage around here. But I noticed that my wife's 32GB 5S just says 4G all the time. Everyone has the latest release build of iOS. I've rebooted the phone and reset network settings, but nothing helped.

Any ideas? Kind of stumped.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on May 11, 2016 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2016 10:15 AM

"4G" is what AT&T calls HSPA+. It's a slower, older protocol than LTE.

If you've reset the network settings, the next steps would be to restore from a backup, then to restore as new.

5 replies

May 11, 2016 10:24 AM in response to christopherfromlima

christopherfromlima wrote:

Thanks, Meg. So you think it's a software, rather than hardware, issue? I've toggled airplane mode on and off a few times with no change.

I couldn't say at this point. If it goes away when you do the restore, yes, it probably is. If it doesn't, then it may well be hardware.

And, thank you, modular for noting the basic step I completely neglected. 🙂

May 11, 2016 10:33 AM in response to christopherfromlima

christopherfromlima wrote:

Thanks, Meg. So you think it's a software, rather than hardware, issue? I've toggled airplane mode on and off a few times with no change.

There is a very real chance it's neither. Contact AT&T. There is a good chance the line is not provisioned properly for LTE service. Ask them to re-provision the line. Escalate the call until you get someone who understands what that means.

iPhone 5S says 4G instead of LTE? ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.