Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD Client 3.8.5 and headless server not reachable

I have 3 servers running OS X 10.10.5. They are each connected to a USB / VGA KVM switch, so in effect they are running "headless" much of the time.

All 3 servers were working fine running ARD 3.8.4 client I updated one of the servers to ARD 3.8.5 (and 3.8.5.1) client.

Now, the one server on 3.8.5.1 is not reachable, and it seems as if the problem happens either after the screensaver kicks in and/or the monitor goes to sleep. I've tried SSH into the server and kickstart but this does not work.

The only thing that restores connection is to physically wake up the server using the mouse or keyboard.

Anyone else having this problem?

Mac mini, OS X Server, OSX 10.10.5 with Server.app 5.0

Posted on May 11, 2016 11:11 AM

2 replies

May 12, 2016 8:07 AM in response to usmcgeek

usmcgeek wrote:

Since they are on a KVM and essentially running headless, why don't you disable the screensaver and monitor sleep and then see if it resolves the issue?

Agreed - in further testing I tried disabling monitor sleep and the screensaver and I still had the problem.

However, I remembered that this server is one that's connected to UPS via USB, and was running into a "powerd gone crazy" bug where the powerd daemon would routinely start using 100% CPU. Described here: Link to this post

I wrote a bash script to detect abnormal powerd and kill it when that happens.

Since disabling this script, I haven't had the problem connecting via ARD come back.

I'll keep watching and update as I learn more.

ARD Client 3.8.5 and headless server not reachable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.