Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my Apple Watch Notify me when my iPhone is out of range

I depend more and more on my Apple Watch every day - the one problem I see is that if I leave my iPhone in the house or car becomes out of range - is there any way my Apple Watch can notify this.

Many time i leave the house without my iPhone only to have to return home.

Clear as mud. Thanks!!!

Posted on May 11, 2016 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2016 6:59 PM

For what it's worth, my experience with Lookout was annoying the extreme. It repeatedly told me my phone was moving out of range despite the fact that neither the watch nor the phone had moved and were less than two feet from each other. I can't say if it worked very well for its intended purpose as I couldn't leave it installed for long enough.

Hopefully, they will update the app to resolve some of those issues.

You might also want to submit feedback to Apple suggesting that they make this a native feature:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2016 6:59 PM in response to Anthony Stillittano

For what it's worth, my experience with Lookout was annoying the extreme. It repeatedly told me my phone was moving out of range despite the fact that neither the watch nor the phone had moved and were less than two feet from each other. I can't say if it worked very well for its intended purpose as I couldn't leave it installed for long enough.

You might also want to submit feedback to Apple suggesting that they make this a native feature:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jan 24, 2017 5:07 PM in response to Carlo Blackmore

I don't recall precisely. Did you turn on Watch notifications in settings in Lookout? It doesn't appear to be turned on by default.

The Lookout app on my watch is recognizing when I put the phone in airplane mode but not sending me an alert. Without going outside in the cold, I don't, at present for seeing if going out of range will trigger an alert on the Watch.

On the plus side, in the couple of minutes since I installed it, I haven't gotten an erroneous notification.

Best of luck.

Jan 24, 2017 8:29 PM in response to Carlo Blackmore

I spoke too soon. I put my watch in my right pants pocket and almost immediately got an alert on my watch from Lookout telling me my phone was almost out of range. I have, once again, eliminated this piece of drake from my phone and watch.

But, yes, alerts do sound on your watch when (the app thinks) your phone has moved out of range.

Jan 25, 2017 5:31 AM in response to Carlo Blackmore

I just made sure to turn on the Apple Watch Notifications in the Settings on the phone app and made sure that notifications for Lookout were enabled for the Watch in the Watch app. If you can't get the app to work as advertised, I'd suggest contacting Lookout with your concerns.

However, in my opinion, the app isn't really even worth the trouble to download it. Even if it did, as it's supposed to, send you alerts on the Watch, my experience is that they won't be accurate. If the alert goes off every time you put your phone in your pocket, it's eventually going to get pretty annoying and you're going to tend to ignore it.

The rest of the features of the app are redundant or plain unnecessary.

May 11, 2016 1:29 PM in response to Anthony Stillittano

Hi

Apple Watch does not presently offer audible or haptic alerts if it is taken out of Bluetooth range of the paired iPhone. When the devices have become disconnected via Bluetooth, if the watch is also unable to connect to a known Wi-Fi network at that time, it will show the Disconnected icon at the top of the watch face:

User uploaded file

However, you may find this third-party app helpful:

Lookout – Security, Backup and Missing Device

- "Shows you the distance between your iPhone and Apple Watch, and notifies you if they’re about to lose connection."

- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lookout-security-backup-missing/id434893913?mt=8

May 11, 2016 7:12 PM in response to Anthony Stillittano

Meg St._Clair wrote:

Meg's experience was before an updated version of Lookout was released.

The update included:

"You can now adjust the sensitivity of the Apple Watch connectivity notifications in the Settings section of your Lookout iPhone app."

May 17, 2016 7:30 AM in response to Anthony Stillittano

Hi Tony

If you have not already done so, it may help to adjust the app's sensitivity:

- On your iPhone, in the Lookout app: open Settings via the the gear icon (upper-right corner) > scroll to Apple Watch > adjust the sensitivity bar leftwards.

If the app is still too sensitive, you may wish to advise the developer via support@lookout.com

More information:

https://faq.lookout.com/en/topics/218324967-apple-watch-out-of-range

Can my Apple Watch Notify me when my iPhone is out of range

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.