Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In terminal, I cannot type the letter (lower case) "e"

2015 MBP, fully up to date OSX

I open a terminal window and if I type the letter "e" (without quotes of course) it beeps and will not type the letter. Every other letter works just fine in terminal. Upper case E works too. Just lower e.

In every other app on my computer lower e works without issue, so not a keyboard issue.

This started sometime in the last week. I use terminal a lot in my job and never has this been an issue. I have rebooted (did not fix). I have reset terminal (did not fix).

Since I do not know the exact date when this started, I am not sure if I made any changes or installed software. I am trying to remove anything I have installed recently.

FYI I have tried to use the 3rd party iterm2 and it does the same thing.

ALSO - if I paste in something with a lower e, it does same thing - will not take it. It has to be some terminal bash config issue I would think. Help please

MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.2), null

Posted on May 11, 2016 1:21 PM

13 replies

May 11, 2016 3:00 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

all letters work in all apps that are not terminal (or a terminal derivative). Text editors, email, web, and well, everything.

The e does not in terminal with the built in MBP keyboard, nor with an Apple external keyboard.

The fact that a pasted string of text that has an e in it - and that the e fails in the post - this really eliminates the keyboard in my mind. Does that make sense?

like right now I copy this

sense

and when I paste it in terminal, it shows as sns and you can hear 2 beeps. Maddening really.

May 11, 2016 3:58 PM in response to Indygreg

Please back up all data.

Select

Shell ▹ New Command

from the Terminal menu bar. Uncheck the box marked

Run command inside a shell

if checked.

Copy and paste the following line into the text box that opens, then press return:

mkdir disabled_shell_files

Close the Terminal window that opens. Repeat with this line:

mv .profile .bash_history .bash_profile .bashrc .inputrc disabled_shell_files

Your old shell initialization and history files will be saved in a directory named "disabled_shell_files" at the top level of your home directory. It's normal that some of these files will not exist, and therefore you will get some "no such file" errors.

Close the window, open a new one, and test.

You may already know that files with a name beginning in "." are not visible in the Finder by default. So if you open the folder you just created in the Finder, it will appear to be empty, even though it isn't. If you need to recover some of the data in the shell files, use a shell-based text editor such as nano(1). Make sure you're not recreating the problem. Otherwise, you can delete the folder.

May 11, 2016 9:57 PM in response to Indygreg

Hello Indygreg,

Since you can't type or paste an 'e' in the Terminal, you can't use the Terminal to fix this problem.

There are two approaches to try:

1) You can create a new administrator account on your machine and see if Terminal is working properly there. If it is, then you can use that Terminal to "su" into your original account and compare the various init scripts and environment settings to locate the problem.

2) Another option is to use System Preferences > Users & Groups > (your account) > command or right click > Advanced options and change your shell from whatever it currently is (probably bash) to something else (I suggest zsh). Then, you should be able to use the Terminal. You can manually run bash and compare init scripts and environment settings with those of zsh.

Since the problem is 'e', I'm guessing the cause is some funky bash escape sequence that doesn't work on the ancient OS X bash version or was just mistyped. So look for your PS variables first.

May 11, 2016 10:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

You can, of course, use Terminal to solve the problem, as I wrote earlier.

Indygreg disagrees:

Indygreg wrote:

The fact that a pasted string of text that has an e in it - and that the e fails in the post - this really eliminates the keyboard in my mind. Does that make sense?

like right now I copy this

sense

and when I paste it in terminal, it shows as sns and you can hear 2 beeps. Maddening really.

Therefore, neither the .profile nor the .bash_profile files could be moved as you instructed.

May 11, 2016 11:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

In case you're confused by the noise in this thread, the problem is caused by a shell configuration file, most likely .inputrc. I gave you a procedure to move aside those files using the Terminal application (which is working normally), but not using the shell (which is not working.) All you need, in order to understand how that procedure works, is enough reading comprehension to understand the phrase "Run command inside a shell." Of course, not everyone has that much reading comprehension, but you do.

May 12, 2016 7:56 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry Linc, I normally ignore your boilerplate because I don't like to read the insults you typically scatter throughout. The truth is, you don't know what causing the problem. I agree that it is most likely a configuration file issue, but there could be other causes as well. And by the same token, there could be other solutions. I happen to think my solutions are better and cover more potential causes.

May 12, 2016 8:13 AM in response to Indygreg

This one is weird.

I don't think this is a bash config problem, but that should be easy to test - just start a different shell, by typing, e.g.

tcsh

at the prompt. If the letter "e" starts to work then it would confirm to be related to bash.

But I don't think it will, because it is happening while you type, and before bash gets it.

I believe it is something with the Terminal application itself.

In terminal, I cannot type the letter (lower case) "e"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.