Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall iTunes to fix broken AirPlay!

Hello everyone,

As many people have reported over the years on this forum, I have recently experienced the maddening problem of being unable to send my Mac's video signal to Apple TV through AirPlay. Curiously, only my MacBook Pro had this problem, while my MacBook Air and iPad were perfectly capable of doing it.

I used all the common troubleshooting tip: that failed. I restored my ATV. That didn't work. I even clean installed El Capitan on my Mac. That also failed.

Then, I found the solution. When I used the Migration Assistant to copy my backed up settings, it blurted out something about a Corrupted iTunes installation.

The first thought that crossed my mind was "***?". Later on, I thought "well, better try reinstalling iTunes".

So... I downloaded iTunes from Apple's site, installed it, restarted my Mac and my Apple TV is available again.

Eureka!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 11, 2016 2:36 PM

7 replies

May 11, 2016 5:29 PM in response to Jibograf

Hello Jibograf,

Does Apple TV show with only a speaker icon in the AirPlay menu? I think this is caused by a software inconsistency. You have the latest El Capitan. Can you chack for updates on your ATV 3? There is an uodate to 7.2.1 that came out on Feb 25, 2016. Confusingly, it has the same number, but adds many of the same changes applied to the other Apple systems.

You could also check the ATV HDMI connection at both ends, to be sure it's good.

May 12, 2016 4:00 PM in response to Jibograf

I suggest thay you start a new thread, and make sure the title mentions your computer. Lots of people who follow this group know how to do this, and should be able to help you.

I assume you have checked the items here Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV - Apple Support . You should mention it in your post, because people will tell you to do it.

Reinstall iTunes to fix broken AirPlay!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.