Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

im receiving text messages off my friends but they havent sent them?

I've received text messages from friends (in my contacts) which says...I have sent you an orange photo/video message. Go to https://orange.mms.ee.co.uk/orange your message is valid for 7 days...

I then receive another text, from the same person (but it isn't them as they aren't sending them)....A photo/video message was sent to you but couldn't be delivered. A notification on how to view this message will follow shortly. Your password is: Sw&fH

Any ideas please? I can see from previous posts iphones cant have viruses and I have no idea what jailbroke is.

iPhone 5

Posted on May 11, 2016 3:21 PM

3 replies

May 11, 2016 4:22 PM in response to Applebobbing1

No, iPhones don't get viruses unless you remove all the security features Apple has in place (called jailbreaking). If you don't know what jailbreaking is, you probably haven't done it to your phone.

It sounds as if either your friends are using a service to send you something or someone is spoofing (using someone else's information) their address.

Back in the old days, if you send a picture to someone who didn't have a picture capable phone, they would get a message something like that to let them know to go look at the picture on the carrier's website. That seems unlikely to be the case here.

May 11, 2016 11:54 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you for your reply. Yes I remember the old days and it is like that, which is what initially made me check with the first person who supposedly sent me the text message but they have all said they havent sent me a message at that time. But it does seem to be friends who I have recently (the day before) had text conversations with.

ooh blimey, I havent knowingly removed any security settings 😕

May 12, 2016 7:07 AM in response to Applebobbing1

It could also be that you have somehow lost your MMS carrier provisioning. As you may or may not know, text messages (SMS) are exactly that - text only messages. Once pictures, music or video is added to a text message, it is no longer a text message, it becomes a Multimedia Messaging Service message (MMS).

SMS uses the carrier cell network but MMS uses data. It doesn't use your data bucket like email/browser/etc., but it is a special data bucket for MMS messages that the carrier has to provision you and your SIM for. Often, especially when changing devices or making changes to your plan, the provisioning gets "lost" and only a call or visit to the carrier can fix it. So as Meg mentioned, if the MMS gateway determines that you don't have MMS provisioning, it will send you a link to download the picture/video/music that was sent to you (which you can then download using "non-MMS data"*). I recall from the 'old days' also that sometimes there was a day or two delay between the original message being sent until you go the link -- especially if the sender and receiver where use different carriers. Remember also that many people do not differentiate between true text messages (SMS) and "text messages with pictures" (MMS).

* usually, cell service consists of: cellular network calls, text messaging (SMS), picture messaging (MMS), data (for emails/browsing/downloading) and voicemail.

This doesn't explain everything applicable to your situation as you've explained it but I am mentioning it as a possibility; and it might apply to others reading this thread with a similar problem. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

im receiving text messages off my friends but they havent sent them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.