Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple music has deleted my non purchased songs

Since changing over to Mac from Windows, I was told on point of purchase that if I was to subscribe to apple music it would send my entire music library to the cloud. Once getting my Mac up and running the Apple sales person told me that my music would be transferred onto my Mac. But unfortunately it hasn't and I have now lost approximately 2500 songs from my iTunes library.

I have resubscribed to Apple music to hopefully access my music but i haven't had any luck. I feel that I have been screwed over by Apple a little bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Liam

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1, Apple music

Posted on May 11, 2016 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2016 12:36 AM

How long were you not subscribed to Apple Music? Apple only keeps the account information for up to 30 days.

Boy, I would not have done it that way at all. It is very, very easy to transfer the iTunes library from one computer to another, either with Migration Assistant or with an external drive (even a flash drive if you are willing to do it in bits and pieces).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2016 12:36 AM in response to Littlebud1991

How long were you not subscribed to Apple Music? Apple only keeps the account information for up to 30 days.

Boy, I would not have done it that way at all. It is very, very easy to transfer the iTunes library from one computer to another, either with Migration Assistant or with an external drive (even a flash drive if you are willing to do it in bits and pieces).

May 11, 2016 10:35 PM in response to Littlebud1991

Are you sure you're not referring to iTunes Match?

iCloud Music Library: Understanding differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match - Apple Support

Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

Apple Music is a streaming service. You only have access to the music while you have an active subscription and not going forward at all.

Do you not have the 2500 tracks backed up somewhere else? They would have been used to upload to your cloud library. On your Windows PC?

May 12, 2016 11:21 AM in response to Littlebud1991

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself independently backed up against loss. To use a device with a different setup you transfer the old library from a computer or a backup directly to the new setup, not the device to the library. Media syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer from a device. The exception is iTunes Store media purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

Redownload or transfer your iTunes Store purchases from an iPhone, iPad or iPod to a computer - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267 - "This feature works only for content bought from the iTunes Store." As of iOS9 it no longer does apps which now must be re-downloaded directly from the Store.

For transferring other items from an i-device to a computer you will have to use third party commercial software. See this document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991 Even this method may not fully recover what you had in the library originally. For example if in order to save space when syncing you had converted music files to a lower bitrate, or photos to a lower resolution, it is those lower quality files you will recover.

If you subscribe to Apple Music, tracks which are not part of content you have purchased or uploaded cannot be transferred and have to be downloaded directly from iCloud.

apple music has deleted my non purchased songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.