Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 27 late 2012 windows 7 installation issues.

Dear Apple Community.

First of all I know the subject has been discussed some other times, but after I tried to follow instructions and directions and schemes almost everywhere in the net I am at a blind point.

I own an iMac 27" late 2012. I was able to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp through a combination of different methods gotten on line. (downloaded Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621 as described in many forums)

But I am stuck because I still have problems with my UBS3 ports which don't allow my keyboard and graphic tablet to work (I had to uninstall the app in the safe mode to go back to UB2) and the screen resolution which is only 1280x720 with the arrow, trash bin and other stuff appearing distorted. 😕

Since I am using some programs for architecture and 3D modelling in Windows I'd like to ask for help because I really don't know where to search further.

When I solve the problem I promise to write here a detailed method to install win7 on late 2012 iMac for whoever need this. 🙂

Can anyone help me to finally get a solution? Thank you so much for your availability and looking forward to hearing fro you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iMac '13 27" 3.4 Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM

Posted on May 12, 2016 4:00 AM

15 replies

May 13, 2016 11:50 AM in response to Polfus

Hi Polfus,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your Boot Camp install. If you continue to have unexpected behavior from the port connections and display resolutions in Boot Camp, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful (apologies if you have already seen this/done them):

If you don't see some Mac features when using Windows on your Mac - Apple Support

You may also want to double-check that you are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, as noted here:

Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Regards

May 14, 2016 2:05 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T!

I know you from previous readings I had here (thanks brenden dv, but I already read these pages) 🙂

To answer, basically I combined the installation in this way:

- using an USB hub 2.0 only in the left side port close to the Thunderbolt one.

- formatting an USB key with the .iso file from Win7

- downloading latest bootcamp files from the Bootcamp application

- downloading 5.1.5621 from BCA page

- replaced $WinPEDriver$, AutoUnattend.xml and Bootcamp folder in the root folder of USB key

- gone through the Win7 installation which was ok

- erased in the Windows emergency modality with internet working (pressing F8 after booting in Win) the Usb3 extensible Host Controller Driver to get USB 2.0 working

but still I don't know how to install USB3 drivers to work and resolution of the screen is stuck.

Yes, I can boot into OS X no problem 🙂

May 14, 2016 7:20 AM in response to Polfus

Was the USB formatted as a FAT32 with MBR?

erased in the Windows emergency modality with internet working (pressing F8 after booting in Win) the Usb3 extensible Host Controller Driver to get USB 2.0 working

Are you referring to the initial Windows Installer where Bootcamp is formatted, or was this a Safe Boot? Does Windows boot normally?

May 14, 2016 8:52 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, sorry I re-formulate.

- erased the Usb3 extensible Host Controller Driver in the Windows safe mode with internet working (pressing F8 after booting in Win) to get USB 2.0 working after the installation because when I get to the first passage with name and password I don't have USB ports working.

Windows boot normally. Everything is in order.

May 15, 2016 11:04 AM in response to Polfus

Creating the System restore point should not install new drivers. With the USB Keyboard/Mouse connected, under which driver do these USB devices show up?

Let me also check the W10 driver used. I can connect both USB2 and USB3 devices simultaneously with this driver in place, without any issues. If your USB2 devices do not connect, does a BT Keyboard/Mouse allow you to connect to the iMac?

May 20, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Polfus

Well, after some days of total dark from the community I post here how I finally managed to solve problems -looking here and looking there on the websites- and give a complete guide to whoever is in my situation because here we can talk for days, but no solution, UNTIL NOW... 😉

So, ready? Good. THIS IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR AN imac 27 late 2012 installing Windows 7.

0_Unplug everything and connect a hub on the first USB port on the left side close to the thunderbolt one with the USB keyboard and a USB mouse.

1_Download the file Bootcamp 5.1.5621because this is the correct file for the installation

2_Download the file to your desktop - when unzip this file, it will create a bootcamp folder.

3_Use a USB Key 2.0 formatted FAT-DOS because this is the correct formatting type (because it allows the key to install the support drivers without any problem) and plug it in this USB hub port

4_Open BootCamp Assistant and tick first "create Win 7 or later install" and also"download support drivers from Apple"

5_On your USB stick where you have just created your Windows boot disk via Bootcamp Assistant, find the $WinPE$, AutoUnattend file and Bootcamp folders and delete them. Replace them with the files/folders from the Bootcamp folder you unzipped to your desktop in Step 2 above. These files are the exact files for the USB ports to work etc etc...

6_Go to BCA and tick "Install Windows 7 or later" - create partition and then, go!

7_Follow all the necessary steps (don't forget to format the bootcamp disk during installation in Win) and you should arrive at the first window which ask name and password. USB should work and then you can begin with Win7.

Now, the thing which is odd here is that you can't have a proper screen resolution. So in Win7 partition download Firefox then download immediately Windows Framework.net 4.0 because this will allow you to install the latest NVIDIA drivers for the screen (check the NVIDIA auto detect in its website for the latest drivers). VERY IMPORTANT!!! ---> If you download graphic drivers and then install them you get stuck and the computer won't finish, NEVER!!!

So at this point you should have a finished and working Win7 partition without any problem 😎

Lots of happiness to everybody!!! POLFUS.

imac 27 late 2012 windows 7 installation issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.