Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP.....lost my entire companies work from drive

Hi I am sweating here....I used migration tool to go from 10.6.8 imac to new capitan bought last week. Migration said it would take 35 hours or so so stopped it realising it was copying all files from my old mac ( 10 years of client work) where as I only want to copy the newer current projects. After stopping migration I saw my mac by name on the new machine and the client folder there so deleted it as I was transferring clients across manually but now my work computer has lost ALL total clients work, the hard drive reads 350 of 500 gig free so it has somehow deleted the files from my working mac FROM the new one. I have no idea it was doing this and this is going to really cost me... I have some 20 projects running with clients that have gone and it is design work that will cost me.... is there anything I can do, I dont have any auto backup set up I am guessing as my hard drive shows lots of space now all my clients work is gone its not in the trash or anywhere. I had no idea what I was doing on my new mac would affect my work computer like this its terrible and Im in trouble now.

any ideas.....thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 12, 2016 9:42 AM

27 replies

May 12, 2016 10:10 AM in response to samj042

You never made ANY backups, AT ALL, all of this time!

You work for a company and never, ever made ANY backups over the time you've used this computer?

No backups on external drives?

No backups to company computers or server computers?

NADA????

Reaally????

You will need to stop using this Mac, go to another computer and start looking online for apps for OS X that do data recovery that you can pay for and download ASAP and/or order a disc from that you can install on that Mac.

The only one I've used is Data Rescue 3 from ProSoft Engineering.

https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-mac-data-recovery/

This one works well, but you will recover everything and anything that was on your Mac's hard drive, so be prepared for some serious organistion work afterwards.

There are other data recovery apps, too!

Data Rescue I feel is one of the better data recovery apps.

Do a web search from another computer for the one that looks best to you.

Once you find one, you want go back to that Mac, get online and immediately go to the website and pay for the software, download and install this and use it ASAP to try and recover as much data as possible.

Methinks if you get lucky and can recover all of this data, time to get a real backup strategy in place and be dilligent of doing backups for the future.

Good Luck!

May 12, 2016 10:31 AM in response to MichelPM

I have a seagate removable that had all clients on which I deleted, I thinned out the clients work on my working machine and was then going to save all that back to the seagate but this has happened as I was in this process so no back up. So I have lost about 350G client work so £33 + nat for the software advised here to recover or near on £100 for full version, can I recover essential 250G of the lower price bracket software version, its a lot of money for full version if it doesnt work!.... I have to use the machine today as I have client deadline and no other way to do it and cant just drop them is that going to affect my chances now?

Thanks for all your help..... I am so annoyed I am able to delete remotely like that from my new machine I support my family with this work this has killed me!

Thanks all

May 12, 2016 10:47 AM in response to samj042

Your description 'I saw my mac by name on the new machine and the client folder there' suggests to me that what you saw was the filesystem of your old machine that had been mounted on your new one to facilitate the migration process.

Am I correct to assume that you saw the Client folder in this and by 'deleted it' you mean dragged it to the Trash on your new machine?

Did you get a warning that the files would be deleted immediately or not? Something like this:

User uploaded file

If not, did you subsequently empty the Trash or not?

(I'm asking this just in case your missing files are sitting in a Trash folder somewhere.)

C.

May 12, 2016 10:48 AM in response to samj042

You are past the 250 GB limit of data that you need to recover and what you Mac reports may not be all of the data you lost.

The data recovery is going to recover hopefully everything and anything and nothing will be organised any longer, either

To be sure, are going to have to shell out the cash for the DR standard version at $99.]

That has a license that will recover unlimited data on five hard drives.

That is the one you are going to have to purchase.

That's the cost for not having any previous backups.

That's a steal of a price, compared to data recovery services, f all your data gets recovered from running this software, yourself.

Good Luck to you.

May 12, 2016 10:56 AM in response to samj042

Don't do anything until you have calmed down.

Users who are stressed because they think they have lost files often panic and do stupid things that bang the last couple of nails into the coffin.

If you can get your files back for £100 pay it and think of it as a cheap lesson. I saw one bill for nearly £5K for partial recovery of a failed disk drive.

All disks fail eventually. It's not a question of 'whether', just 'when'.

C.

May 12, 2016 10:59 AM in response to SeaPapp

Stop using the old computer immediately, anything you do decreases your chances of getting any data back. You can try a data recovery software like Data Rescue 4 https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-mac-data-recovery/ Or you can contract with a professional data recovery service.

Dammmm just bought bought this but its not compatible with 10.6.8 any other ideas ?

Thanks

May 12, 2016 11:11 AM in response to samj042

Sometimes we assume that the OS X signature is incorrect since most times, users upgrade OS X versions and do not post the correct OS X version they are running in their signature.

We all assumed that you maybe running a later OS X version.

The software didi post OS X 10.7.5 as a minimum OS X for the current version.

They had a version that used to work with OS X 10.6.8.

If Prosoft has contact info either email or call them and tell them what you did and what you purchased and ask them if they have an older version that you can download that still works with Snow Leopard and not have to pay again.

Main Office: 877-477-6763

Have you answered cdhw's question about whether you did what he describes as you might still have your data?

May 12, 2016 12:09 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks MichelPM I have emailed and tried to ring them but no answer.... I am running trial of another recovery software just see what can be found while I wait to hear back... that seems to be finding some files, I am working on clients work at the same as now all my projects are very behind and they are for big brands so tight deadlines and I have lost everything.... I am writing all files to ex drive now and hoping if prosoft can get back to me I can see what I can do.... this has made me sweat so much I am having a drink tonight!.... from the way the trial recovery is looking I can select what files to recover, does anyone know if I get basic prosoft version can I select the 250gig to recover or will it stop scanning at 250gig?...anyway will let you know if they will send me a back version for my money and get the essential projects I am missing..... its large photoshop and 3D model files that will cause me the trouble but as I say I am pouring a drink for now and see what happens in the morning....thanks for all the help people!

May 12, 2016 3:25 PM in response to samj042

The recovery software will stop scanning the drive once it reaches 250 GBs.

If you are back using the old Mac, the longer you use it the more chances data is going to be written over.

Applications can write temp files/data to both RAM and to the internal hard drive.

If you hear hard drive still making noise while you are using an application, it is writing temp files and scratch files to the Mac's internal drive.

FYI.

If you can use the new Mac, that woukd be better.

To use that software you purchased, in case Prosoft doesn't get back to you, without knowing what Mac model you have, you could go out and purchase another new external hard drive, use the new Mac to install a newer version of OS X onto this new external hard drive

We would need to know your specs of the old Mac ti determine what external hard drive you need and what newer OS X version the old Mac will support beyond OS X 10.6.8.

By installing a newer version of OS X onto the right external hard drive, you can boot that new drive from your old Mac install the Prosoft data recovery software on this new external drive and run the software and your Mac from the external hard drive to do the data recovery.

You should purchase another external hard drive, anyways to have more than one backup/storage source.

May 12, 2016 3:52 PM in response to samj042

If you have an iMac that is old enough to still be running OS X 10.6.8, it, probably, has a FireWire 800 port (2011 iMacs had both a Thunderbolt port AND a FW800 port for backward compatibilty).

While you can use a USB drive, not all Mac could boot from a USB drive, If you can go to a electronics store or if you have an Apple Store to go to,

You would need to find an external FireWire hatd drive ( preferably one with FW800 connections) and or a Thunderbolt hatd drive that uses the Thunderbolt connections and you would need to purchase a Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter, also, to use this drive with either Mac.

If your old Mac is capable of running the latest OS X version, you can hook this new drive up to your new Mac, and install El Cap right to the new external hard drive, hook this up to the old mac using the thunderbolt to FW adapter and boot up your old Mac from the new external hard drive.

Install the data recovery software that you purchased to the new hard drive and run the software from the new drive to scan and recover data from your old Mac's internal hard drive.

May 12, 2016 4:29 PM in response to samj042

If you don't hear from Prosoft, go out (tonight, if possible) and purchase a USB hard drive that has it own power supply that needs to be plugged into a power outlet to run.

DO NOT purchase a portable laptop style drive that only gets its power from a USB connection.

Again, purchase an external USB hard drive that has an independent power supply.

If we have to, we are going to install a newer version of OS X that you can boot your old Mac from to run it from an external hard drive to run the OS and the data recovery software you ended up purchasing, from a new external USB drive.

Your old Mac won't run fast from a USB drive, but USB drives are cheaper and easier to obtain from local electronics stores.

Get a USB drive storage size larger than 500 GBs.

A 1 TB drive will do fine if you don't want to spend too much on another backup drive, right now.

I also need to know the specs of your older Mac to determine what other, newer OS X version, if any, we can run other than OS X 10.6.8.

HELP.....lost my entire companies work from drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.