Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage sends my name to strangers

How do I prevent iMessage from sending my name to people to whom I have sent a text but don't have me in their contacts? I've tested this with someone and if we are both on an Apple phone and both have iMessage enabled and they don't have me in their contacts then when I send them and I message text my name appears on their phone in the conversation. I don't want my name to show up especially if it is someone that I don't know.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 12, 2016 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2016 4:23 PM

If you don't know them, why are you sending them a message to begin with? You could just turn off iMessage, in which case all they will get is your phone number... There has to be some kind of identifying information tied to the message. A phone number, email address registered with iCloud... something, otherwise there would be no way to reply and have the response delivered.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2016 4:23 PM in response to msstatedawg

If you don't know them, why are you sending them a message to begin with? You could just turn off iMessage, in which case all they will get is your phone number... There has to be some kind of identifying information tied to the message. A phone number, email address registered with iCloud... something, otherwise there would be no way to reply and have the response delivered.

May 12, 2016 4:39 PM in response to msstatedawg

That isn't how iMessage works. It doesn't "send your name". When you send a new message to any user, whether they have you in contacts or not, iMessage sends out a "from" component that YOU control. I'm willing to bet that you have an email address associated to your iCloud account and new messages are being sent "from" that email address instead of the phone number of the phone.

Settings -> Messages -> Send and Receive

Check to see what the default FROM setting is.

iMessage sends my name to strangers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.