Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin account freezes at login, but I can log into guest?

I have tried resetting my computer, starting in safe mode, and repairing my disk but for some reason my computer freezes every time I try to log into my main user account. All of my files are on that account and I need to be able to access them! Please help, thank you!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 13, 2016 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2016 1:53 PM

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Please back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder with the odd name "folders" should open.

Inside "folders" are several subfolders, each with a two-character name. Drag all the subfolders except the one named "zz" to the Trash. Don't delete the subfolder named "zz". You'll be prompted for your administrator login credentials.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2016 1:53 PM in response to matthewrc32

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Please back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder with the odd name "folders" should open.

Inside "folders" are several subfolders, each with a two-character name. Drag all the subfolders except the one named "zz" to the Trash. Don't delete the subfolder named "zz". You'll be prompted for your administrator login credentials.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Admin account freezes at login, but I can log into guest?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.