Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4.8 KO's Pioneer DVD burner

I have an original Mac Mini that I put a Pioneer RW DVR/K06RS optical drive in. Now with the 10.4.8 update the drive is unable to burn CDs.

The drive still shows up in Profiler, however was not recognized by iTunes as a burner. I ran PatchBurn and the drive showed up in iTunes, however burning is extremely slow and grinds to a halt after about 10 minutes. iTunes then reports that the burn speed is set too high, but the speed selected is the lowest possible. There seems to be a few discussions appearing on Google referring to this burner as a problem, but I do not understand the discussions.

This drive is not an "Apple supported burner", although I bought it from Other World Computing and it worked fine before 10.4.8. Is it possible the CD media is wrong for this cranky burner? Does anyone have a suggestion what to do?

Original Mini 1.42, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 2, 2006 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2006 7:16 AM

I don't think the upgrade to 10.4.8 itself is the culprit. I've put a DVR-K06 into my PPC Powerbook (late 2004) as well as my Intel Mac Mini (late 2006 model), both with 10.4.8 installed, and they burn CDs and DVDs just fine.
Did you try to reset the PRAM on your machine or maybe even the Power Management Unit (PMU), after installing the new drive?
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2006 7:16 AM in response to Gnarlodious

I don't think the upgrade to 10.4.8 itself is the culprit. I've put a DVR-K06 into my PPC Powerbook (late 2004) as well as my Intel Mac Mini (late 2006 model), both with 10.4.8 installed, and they burn CDs and DVDs just fine.
Did you try to reset the PRAM on your machine or maybe even the Power Management Unit (PMU), after installing the new drive?

10.4.8 KO's Pioneer DVD burner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.