Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos from iCloud to WD MyCould device rename "thumbs*.*?

Hello everyone. I hope someone can explain what is happening.

I have a Mac Mini OS 10.11.4 running Photos app with the photos stored/synced on the iCloud. My iCloud is full, but have a 3TB WD MyCloud external device I could move the photos on to. In reading previous posts, I selected all photos in the Photos Library and dropped them into a new folder on the WD device. All apparently copied fine, except they were renamed "thumb_orignal filename". That makes me believe these copied photos are not the full resolution photos I had in the iCloud. Can someone confirm and let me know if there is a better method to offload the photos from the iCloud to my WD drive? I have not deleted my iCloud photos yet as I wanted to be sure they are exactly the same photos.

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on May 15, 2016 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2016 11:28 AM

Just so we're on the same page you want to store just the original, unedited, full size image files from your Photos library to your WD external HD, right?

If that's what you want too do do the following:

1 - go to the Photos window and select all of the photos in the library , i,e, Command + A key stroke.

2 - use the File ➙ Export Unmodified Original for X,XXX Items...option:

User uploaded file

3 - in the Export window select these settings:

User uploaded file

The XMP file is optional and will only be useful if you use a 3rd party app that can use that file when viewing the photos.

4 - select the WD external HD as the destination and export.

WARNING: This will give you copies of your original, unedited files. You will lose any organizational efforts you've put into the library, i.e. albums, projects, etc. You will lose any metadata you've added to the file, i.e. title, description, keywords unless you view the exporting image files with an application that can utilize the XMP file.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2016 11:28 AM in response to Hi Flight

Just so we're on the same page you want to store just the original, unedited, full size image files from your Photos library to your WD external HD, right?

If that's what you want too do do the following:

1 - go to the Photos window and select all of the photos in the library , i,e, Command + A key stroke.

2 - use the File ➙ Export Unmodified Original for X,XXX Items...option:

User uploaded file

3 - in the Export window select these settings:

User uploaded file

The XMP file is optional and will only be useful if you use a 3rd party app that can use that file when viewing the photos.

4 - select the WD external HD as the destination and export.

WARNING: This will give you copies of your original, unedited files. You will lose any organizational efforts you've put into the library, i.e. albums, projects, etc. You will lose any metadata you've added to the file, i.e. title, description, keywords unless you view the exporting image files with an application that can utilize the XMP file.

User uploaded file

May 15, 2016 11:45 AM in response to Hi Flight

The Export will give you the current version of the file, i.e. the edited version if it's been edited. If the image has been cropped for printing or other reasons you won't get the full sized photo when you export.

Depending on what JPEG quality you select you'll get a file size that will be different than the original. That will have to be your choice. Experiment with a couple of edited photos to see if you can live with your edited copy and won't need to ever go back to the original version.

Moving photos from iCloud to WD MyCould device rename "thumbs*.*?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.