Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VERY annoying duplicates after Apple Music / iCloud Music Library?!

Thanks for clicking my question.

So I finally decided to try out Apple Music and at first it was amazing - every possible song I could ever want to listen to at my fingertips!

But then I agreed to 'merge' my iTunes music with my new apple music library, which I now think it pretty useless since it's main purpose is to allow you to play music on all of my devices but I only need it on my phone...

After hours and hours of uploading all of my music onto my iCloud library I thought it would just mean that everything is in sync - my iPhone would know what music is on my mac and my mac would know what music I have on Apple Music etc. But it turns out that it has duplicated absolutely everything on my iPhone! So now for EVERY song I have a version that is an original file from my mac that I own, and also a 'cloud' version that I can stream from apple music. I don't want to delete my original files of course because this would mean that if I were to stop my apple music subscription I would lose the music collection I've been building for years. But I'm worried that deleting the cloud version will result in the original being removed too.

It seems that my library hasn't been merged at all, and instead I now have 2 libraries - my original file library, and an apple music collection.

How do I edit my library so I only have my original files and the apple music that I download from this day forward? I don't need cloud versions of the music I already have.

If you also have this problem please click "I have this question too" so we can resolve it ASAP, especially if you're OCD about the way your music is organised like I am.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 15, 2016 1:24 PM

11 replies

Mar 12, 2017 10:30 AM in response to Philip Wilson

Before doing anything back up your computer. You may lose music when you turn icloud music off. You need to clear the icloud and start over. Turn icloud off and close itunes. Create a a new itunes by holding options when opening itunes. Create new library. Turn on icloud music and when the music loads up delete everything all music and playlist in the temp library. Close it. Reopen itunes holding option again this time select current library and turn on icloud music and it will upload properly.

May 16, 2016 8:12 PM in response to Mimi9

These instructions are based on the newest update of iTunes for OSx because the way to view the Songs view and add the iCloud Download column were changed.

Go to your My Music screen and change the view in the left hand column to Songs. Right Click (this is in the newest version of iTunes) on the bar that says Name, etc and make sure that iCloud Download is clicked. You should now have a column that is blank (if the music file is present on your hard drive) or a little cloud with a down pointing arrow (if it is at the iCloud version of the song).

You can then click on the little cloud icon at the top to sort by iCloud Download status, which puts all the iCloud versions together and then delete only those. (Be aware if you get a message asking to Keep Files, you have also selected some files from your hard drive.)

The more careful way is to sort by the name of the song and then slowly scroll through your library and make sure that the ones with the iCloud symbol are actually duplicates of the tracks on your hard drive. Takes a bit longer, but that way you are sure you are only deleting the duplicates.

May 17, 2016 1:08 PM in response to swandy

Thanks for your response.

I tried doing this but the songs do not appear as duplicates on iTunes, only on my iPhone. So the songs that are duplicates are the ones that have the iCloud status 'uploaded'. When I delete a cloud duplicate from my iPhone it appears on my mac that I do not have that song on my iPhone at all, as if it has no awareness of what songs are on my iPhone except the cloud songs. I also tried turning off iCloud music library on my mac but this also removes my apple music songs from my mac 😟 I might try and start over somehow, maybe I should just delete my iCloud music library and start again?

May 18, 2016 3:41 AM in response to Mimi9

I have the same problem. Duplicates scattered across iTunes - all seem to be un-downloaded Apple Music versions of songs that I already have on my iMac hard drive; most are showing as matched and are not simply uploaded. I'm also getting album cover changes and one of my purchased albums lost its file link. I also have a ripped song (from my purchased CD) that gives its status as Apple Music, despite it being 360 kbps. I can sort most of these but it's like holding back the tide.I am NOT HAPPY with the way Apple have messed up my music.

VERY annoying duplicates after Apple Music / iCloud Music Library?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.