Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I view my music in list view in iTunes 12.4?

Its about 30 seconds in and I can't believe how much I hate the 12.4 redesign. Where for instance is list view for my music? Where is Playlist view? Where is the Home Movies tab? Do they test this crap on chimps or just throw it out there and assume we will just suck it up like lemmings?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 17, 2016 12:34 AM

54 replies

Nov 4, 2017 7:11 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

No, it DOES NOT MAKE SENSE OVERALL, apple Wantabe. Leaving interfaces alone so that people using them can continue to use them as they've learned to use them makes sense. Also, the "solution" you provide only works in part. Try clicking on Recently Added to get any meaningful list view of the kind which allows the user to select the way he or she wants to see the list (alphabetically, by date, etc.)

Right.

You can't.

Jan 22, 2018 10:50 PM in response to dwesl

I AGREE.

Like others, I just spent an infuriating hour trying to figure out how to view just the songs of my music library with all the meaningful information that I want to see in a list view. I find the "Recently Added" view in the left column just ridiculous, with "view options" (cmd-j) not letting us do squat.

My only workaround was thus:

1) Create a new smart playlist, and set it to show "Name" "is not" and then leave it blank. (Let's assume we don't have any important songs to us in our library that doesn't have a name!)

2) Now when you click on your new playlist, you are able to change view options into a list view that's useful.

Oh Apple, WHY? Why 'fix' simple interfaces when they're not broke?!

Hope this helps someone else.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 17, 2016 1:59 AM in response to PDXSMB

Where for instance is list view for my music?

You can change the view for your library in the sidebar. Under Library, click the view you want to use. If "list view" is the plain list with columns, click Songs.

Where is Playlist view?

If "playlist view" is what you saw before when you clicked the Playlist button (which showed the sidebar), the sidebar is now visible by default. If "playlist view" means something else, please post back with more info.

Where is the Home Movies tab?

Select to show your Movies library. In the sidebar, under Library, click Home Movies.

Overall, this version is different, but it makes more sense overall. I'm glad the sidebar is back as a permanent fixture of the interface.

Jan 23, 2018 11:42 AM in response to bnishii

Oh my, you are completely making this way harder than necessary. Granted, it may not be intuitive but the reason that you have no "Songs" selection in the sidebar is that you have not enabled it. Simply right-click on any of the other categories in the top left (Album, Artist, etc.) and select "Edit List", then put a check mark next to "Songs".

May 17, 2016 1:56 AM in response to jsegel

jsegel wrote:

Under "Library" if you select recently added, in music or movies or anything, it will come up as icons. There is no list view.

Annoying.

User uploaded file

@PDXSMB: You can select the media kind either from the drop-down menu just to the right of the back/forward buttons in the toolbar (you can edit it to include only the media you want) or from the menubar View>Media Kind which also shows key shortcuts.

How can I view my music in list view in iTunes 12.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.