Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kingston ssd stop working on MBP mid2012

I installed an internal 480GB Kingston SSD (uv300) on MPB 2012, formated/erased it and installed OSX El Capitan.

At the second day of installation, OSX stoped working. I boot MPB with an External USB drive with Install OSX and ran Disk Utilty.

I could see the SSD on Disk Utility, but Erase button was not active.

Reading some discussions forums, I tried several commands on Terminal (diskutil, fsck_hfs, etc.), but was not successfull in fixing whathever happended. My idea was format/erase the disk and install again the OSX El Capitan.

I installed back the Toshiba original HD and connect at USB port the Kingston SSD, with an SATA/USB converter.

Nothing has changed at Disk Utility. I was not able to erase or install OSX, even using Terminal commands.

The commands I ran and the messages are in the images at the link https://oicloud.com.br/link/4c0ed801-137c-400a-8a9e-5ad047cf40d5/MBP%20SSD%20Pro blem%20resized/ . I really don't know what to do anymore.

I starte to think it might be a SDD hardware problem...

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on May 17, 2016 3:26 AM

15 replies

May 17, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Camargo Abel

It should not be necessary to use Terminal for straightforward disk First Aid, erasing, partitioning.

If all of those Terminal commands are using the same names as the first screen's diskutil list, you appear to have attempted repair on the installer (disk1) several different times.

You do not appear to have made any reference to your SSD in any of those commands.

May 17, 2016 7:33 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I think the first screen is not correct, sorry. The SSD Drive is disk0 in my actual configuration, named "OS X Base System". I've ran all commands on disk0.

The SSD is now connected to an USB port with a externa SATA/USB adapter.

Regarding your second sugestion (TRIM). I have no idea how to enable TRIM. Actually, the first thing I did after installing the SSD inside the MBP was erase with Disk Utility. And then instal OSX El Captian. As I mentioned, at the second day I couldn't boot anymore. I had to boot with an external drive.

I understand the SSD drive is not accessable, therefore I can not enable TRIM. But please tell me if it is possible.

Thanks for your help so far.

May 17, 2016 10:03 AM in response to Camargo Abel

this article explains the reason you need to have TRIM enabled on your SSD drive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

this article tells how, in 10.10.4 and later.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/latest-os-x-update-allows-you-to-enable-tri m-for-third-party-ssds/

If running an older Mac OS X, you may need a third-party TRIM using the TRIM Enabler Utility.

May 17, 2016 10:07 AM in response to Camargo Abel

A drive that is not seen at all in Disk Utility may have died.

An SSD that is not seen may just be really full, and needs an internal "Garbage collect" cycle to allow it to even minimally function. You will want to leave it powered on, but not being accessed for a half hour. Then it may take a Restart to get it to show up, even so that it can be completely ERASEd. You may have to do that cycle more than once.

If it still is not showing up, you may need to contact the vendor for a replacement.

May 31, 2016 11:42 AM in response to Camargo Abel

Camargo Abel wrote:

Hello! Back to my SSD issue, I returned the non compatible Kingston SSD uv300 to the seller and he offered me a SSD SanDisk Plus 480GB.

Does anybody know whether it is compatible with MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (El Capitan OSX)?

Thanks!

There have been reports of Sandisks not working in Macs, go to another store, I suggest OWC or Crucial

kingston ssd stop working on MBP mid2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.