Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to 10.11.5 I can no longer access shared folders/printers on network Windows PCs

My Mac keeps saying "you do not have permission to access this server." whenever I try to connect to a shared folder on a Windows 7 PC. I also cannot print to a shared printer connected to a Windows PC.

Both of these things worked flawlessly before the update. Nothing has changed on the PC. I tried restarting both machines. I tried un-sharing and re-sharing the folder on the PC. The folder is setup to allow "full access" to "everyone" including Guest access.

Any suggestions?

Posted on May 17, 2016 9:47 AM

6 replies

May 18, 2016 3:15 PM in response to rotechflightsafety

This has been working just fine for the past 6 or 7 years, with multiple different Macs on multiple different OSX versions. Never had any issues until I updated to 10.11.5 yesterday. It's still not working today. I've tried everything I can think of. I tested this with multiple PCs now. None of the shared folders or printers in our office can be reached from my Mac. Everyone else in the office has no problem, since they haven't updated to 10.11.5 yet. I've been warning everyone not to update until this gets sorted out.

May 20, 2016 5:56 AM in response to kmurphy1

Hi kmurphy1,

I'm having this problem too since the 10.11.5 update. I've found a workaround: in Finder, hit Command + K to bring up the "Connect to Server" dialog.

Here you need to type cifs:// and the name of the server you're connecting to (see screenshot)

User uploaded file

This forces an SMB version1 connection, which does work (at least for me!). Unfortunately I've got an application with SMB connections hard coded in, so while I can connect to the server, I can't use the application. I guess I won't be updating the 80 Mac computers I admin.

Hope that helps

Marie

After updating to 10.11.5 I can no longer access shared folders/printers on network Windows PCs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.