Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox just blocked the iCloud Bookmarks extension (17 May 2016).

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1271358

Un-helpfully, they have also apparently blocked all access to information about the extension that used to be in their system. I can't access any clues about who the author is or how to contact support for the extension. Reading through the Apple help:

Get help using iCloud Bookmarks and Reading List - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203519

It seems like the extension is automatically installed along with Windows iCloud, and is ready to be enabled without any specific download. Which would seem to indicate Apple is the responsible developer... Is this true? Is there a direct route to report bugs in such products?

I hadn't noticed any problems with Firefox crashing on startup, with Firefox 46.0.1 on Windows 10, and iCloud 5.2. Wonder why those few people started seeing them in April... Are Mac Firefox users also blocked?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on May 17, 2016 12:38 PM

10 replies

May 18, 2016 2:25 PM in response to archalupa

I'm really stuck. In an attempt to fix my PhotoStream not syncing, I disabled iCloud using the control panel so I could delete the metadata folder. Part of disabling iCloud, you must delete or disable the extension in Firefox, so I deleted it. Now it's not available to re-enable (obviously) and it's not in the extensions gallery to re-download. I guess I'm stuck waiting for it to be re-approved? Any other work-arounds to get the extension back?

Thx.

Jul 21, 2016 2:04 PM in response to Jeff Howe1

I have been using this add-on for ages on several PCs, and I have never had any issue with it. I just did a new install of Windows 10 on an SSD on my home PC, and during the software reinstall I too found that the add-on has quietly disappeared. I have a hunch that this has more to do with Firefox's release of their own new sync tool (for which you have to create a Firefox account to use) and less to do with any actual crash issues.

I use the heck out of this thing syncing between my work PC, home PC, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone, and now my home PC does not have my bookmarks. I'm afraid that I am going to have to switch to Google Chrome to get my bookmarks back.😢

Nov 3, 2016 2:22 PM in response to LorenAmelang

I'm not sure who exactly was responsible, but after this block disappeared from my Windows system, I ran into the exploding duplicates problem. I hadn't changed anything anywhere from what had worked in the past, but now certain folders of bookmarks (but not others!) filled up with dozens of exact duplicates on each of my connected systems. I did find that Firefox Sync was set to sync Add-ons, and it had installed iCloud Bookmarks on multiple Windows and Linux systems. I had to disable the iCloud extension everywhere, clean out the duplicates, and disable "Sync Add-ons". Then enable the iCloud extension on only one Firefox machine.

This page describes the problem well:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/109511353

-----

1. Firefox Sync was set to sync Add-ins as well as bookmarks and settings;

2. The new Firefox iCloud Bookmark sync requires an add-in to be installed in Firefox, which I duly installed on the one PC that I use for this;

3. Unbeknownst to me, Firefox Sync then installed the same add-in on my other desktop PCs (because Firefox Sync was set to sync the add-ins);

4. So at that point I had 3 desktop PCs all syncing bookmarks to iCloud as well as syncing bookmarks with each other;

5. BOOM! Infinite recursive exploding bookmark sync nightmare! (iCloud adds bookmark folder to PC A; PC A syncs this bookmark to PC B; PC B uploads this bookmark to iCloud; iCloud thinks its a new bookmark and sends it to PC A; rinse and repeat.....)

1. Set Firefox Sync not to sync add-ins, on EVERY PC;

2. Remove the iCloud Firefox bookmark sync add-in from all the PCs except the one I use to sync the bookmarks with iCloud (temporarily disable the add-in on this PC);

3. Restore the Firefox bookmarks on one PC from a previous day's automatic backup (Bookmarks-Show all Bookmarks-Import and Backup-Restore). Firefox sync then restored the clean bookmarks to the other PCs.

4. To clean up the bookmarks in iCloud, go to the iCloud control panel and set to sync bookmarks with Internet Explorer (which I never use under normal circumstances). The horrible thousands of bookmarks abomination is then imported into Internet Explorer. But I could then go to the Favorites folder in Windows Explorer and delete them all in just a couple of minutes. So this deleted all the iCloud bookmarks.

5. Get an iPhone and check that the iCloud bookmarks have indeed been deleted.

6. Go back to the iCloud control panel, set to sync bookmarks with Firefox, and re-enable the Firefox add-in to do this.

7. Clean bookmarks are then synced back to iCloud and you are done!

-----

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.