Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover Music Album Artwork

When I upgraded from iTunes 11X to iTunes 12, I lost all my album artwork. I now have iTunes 12.4, but am missing a lot of artwork. I have been able to recover some of the artwork by control - clicking on the 'cover' and selecting Get album artwork, but this hasn't worked for all albums. What do I do to regain the artwork?

User uploaded file

Posted on May 17, 2016 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2016 4:14 PM

1. Open your iTunes and make sure to be signed-in to the iTunes Store using your Apple-ID.
  2. Click CTRL+A to select all of your iTunes library tracks at once.
  3. Next, right-click and select “Get Album Artwork”.
  4. Your iTunes will begin to look for missing album artwork online and saves the covers to your library.
9 replies

May 17, 2016 3:22 PM in response to edwardbischoff

I search out the vast majority of my album art myself. iTunes is all to often just guessing at what I've added to my library. Does iTunes hold those pictures in a particular location? Some items keep resorting to older images that I had associated with the album previously even though I've added the newer one. Is there are way to update the images that I've added to each album and not have iTunes revert it back to an earlier image?

May 17, 2016 4:51 PM in response to drchanowski

Dr Chanowski: I'm like you. I search all the albums myself...I'm a retired senior so I have a lot of time. I don't have a smartphone but do have a new iPod Touch and ran into the same problem you did. When I went to synch a few songs, iTunes changed album covers that weren't in my library and I hated them. So after doing a little research and listening to some other folks, I found that when you synch, your device really is requesting the Apple Store for those covers. Apple maintains its "boxed sets" of albums and if that song you have was on their boxed set, you usually get that. Now, I've been able to keep the album artwori that I want and ignore Apple's desires. So, I turn Airplane Mode ON on my iPod (or your iPhone). This way, the device can't communicate with the Apple Store and only synchs what's in my library. One guy I know even shuts off his Wi-Fi while synching....that way there is no communication between the device and the Apple Store. When you're done synching, turn Airplane Mode OFF, turn on Wi-Fi, and then you have access to all the internet stuff. I'm a low-tech guy not very tech smart, so I turn off Apple Music, Genius, etc. Under previous iTunes editions it wasn't a problem. I heard it is the new OS that does this. Hope this is helpful in some way.

Recover Music Album Artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.