Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in Notes app not showing.

I've had some notes with pictures and screen shots on my phone. They now show as unknown.png, imagepng.png, and imagejpeg.jpg. What is this? Can they be recovered or are they gone. I have been trying for months to recover them with no luck.

Did I do something because they did show when I put them there.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 17, 2016 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 6:57 AM

I have the same issue.

Some photos in the same note in the iOS Notes App do not show. They are gray boxes. They worked for months, but now are just gray boxes. Other images in the same note are visible.

Long tapping on the note shows "Unsupported preview type data". ***?

There is no way to copy or share out the image...it appears to be gone. Other images created at the same time and method and imported the same way (pasted) are OK. But a slew of images are missing.

It appears I cannot trust Notes to keep embedded images. This is BAD. I count on Apple and it's products/apps to be dependable. This is a real let-down.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2017 6:57 AM in response to Tuxedo0

I have the same issue.

Some photos in the same note in the iOS Notes App do not show. They are gray boxes. They worked for months, but now are just gray boxes. Other images in the same note are visible.

Long tapping on the note shows "Unsupported preview type data". ***?

There is no way to copy or share out the image...it appears to be gone. Other images created at the same time and method and imported the same way (pasted) are OK. But a slew of images are missing.

It appears I cannot trust Notes to keep embedded images. This is BAD. I count on Apple and it's products/apps to be dependable. This is a real let-down.

Sep 24, 2017 8:31 AM in response to jack19087

I've had the same issue for the last few iOS updates. It seems more and more of my photos in the notes app gray-out with each update. If you change the view to smaller images the pictures will be visible, you just can't enlarge or zoom in anymore. I talked to Apple about it over a year ago and they said they hadn't heard of the issue and didn't really understand my explanation. I still have yet to find a work-around and it's very disappointing as I use this info everyday for work and I can't access it.

Photos in Notes app not showing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.