Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.4: Compilations - not very practical

Does anyone know if Apple intend to allow compilations back into 'Album' view. It is really irksome having to scroll down a 'compilations list' to to retrieve a track.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 18, 2016 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2016 11:39 PM

Hi,

In Artist view you can group compilations:

User uploaded file

Jim

10 replies

May 18, 2016 6:30 AM in response to Jyroflux

Jyroflux wrote:

I'm not quite ready to update to 12.4 and this doesn't help. I do know that when I import a CD I routinely uncheck the compilation button and make sure the Album Artist is Various Artists and then each song will have the Artist listed. Even if it's a greatest hits compilation for one artist I do the same thing.

I'm too OCD for that. I will go through each track and change it to the original information — i.e., the album it originally came on, the year it was originally released, and what the track number(s) are. I don't like having Greatest Hits albums in my library. I've imported several over the years, and do the same for all of them. No, Frank Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours" did not come out in the 21st century, it came out in the 1950s.

May 18, 2016 4:25 PM in response to pinkstones

As for me, I tend to buy Greatest Hits to get the one or two songs that aren't available anywhere else. But I end up ripping the entire CD. I don't use the release year of the CD for the songs. I enter recording dates, city and recording studio(s) under Comments. The Year for each and every song is derived from the recording date. So when I read that iTunes is deleting libraries I freak out a little bit. Although I have a Time Machine backup, there's always the chance something could go wrong.

I wish folks would post more screen shots so I can see what's changed before I dive in.

May 20, 2016 1:19 AM in response to glenantony

I discovered the same problem. My solutions was to check the compilation flag and to leave the Album Artist field completely empty. So NO entry in the field Album Artist! After that all compilation were show in the grid view under compilations and the Album Artist war show as "Verschiedene Interpreten", which is "Various Artists" in German.

iTunes 12.4: Compilations - not very practical

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.