Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save "Release Date" field in iTunes/Windows 12.4.0.119

I just updated to 12.4.0.119 and can no longer add Release Date to a TV Show. When i go into "Get Info" and type in the Release Date, it allows me to enter a valid date, but as soon as i tab out of the field it clears itself. If i enter the date and click "Ok", the date is not saved.

Windows 10, null

Posted on May 18, 2016 6:49 PM

24 replies

Apr 15, 2017 12:56 AM in response to IggNight

I was able to work around this by installing 12.1.3 on another computer and using that to enter the release date information on copies the mp3 files then move them back to my main PC. Then I had to go through each file in the get info panel to update their release dates. I am glad I figured this out, but it is a bug that should still be fixed.

May 19, 2016 9:38 PM in response to Steve McHargue

Yep. Same here. I have a Windows 7 system (64 bit Windows Pro) and iTunes 12.4.0.119. I can edit the "Release date" field but iTunes doesn't save it.

I seriously wonder if they actually do any regression testing before releasing new versions. It seems that they're only concerned about getting it out but don't give a second thought to making sure they didn't break any functionality! In a former lifetime I was a software engineer and I would get my *** chewed out by my boss if I ever let something like this slip through to the testing group! We did our own regression testing and only once we felt that we didn't hurt any existing functionality would we then give it to the QA group.

Anyone else here remember when iTunes 12 first was released back around Oct 2014? Not only did it show the "Release date" as "6/5/1905" but it actually changed the "Release date" field in all of the TV shows in my library. That was flat out data corruption (and I never heard Apple ever apologize for this).

User uploaded file

This time it's looking like they just don't save the field.

It's odd how a company with such a great reputation in so many areas can fail so spectacularly so often.

Anyone taking bets on how long it'll take them to fix this? I'm guessing by July 4th, 2016. Yea, I know it's a bit optimistic and it'll like take them well into the fall but I'm hoping for a quick fix. They hardly ever get bugs fixed quickly so maybe they'll finally realize that people like it when products continue to work properly!

Larry.

May 20, 2016 8:07 AM in response to Steve McHargue

One quick update to my previous post. I'm having almost the exact same issue on my MacBook Pro. I'm running OS X El Capitan (10.11.5) with iTunes version 12.4.0.119. On the Mac I can't even edit the field. Meaning if I click on it I can't set any value in the display. On my Windows 7 system I can set a value and then be disappointed when it's not saved.

Larry.

May 20, 2016 9:28 AM in response to RickSF

They have been going more and more down hill even before he passed, IMHO; from deploying apps on an iPhone that you can't remove to saying there is metadata in your content that you're not allowed to change. Consistently they convey that they know better what I want and what I want to do with technology than I do. And yea, it ****** me off a bit every time I'm faced with it.

May 20, 2016 9:29 AM in response to Steve McHargue

Oh I quite agree that all fields should be editable, but as I say I've a strong suspicion this used to be a property that was only ever set on iTunes Store purchases and not user editable. I see release dates for my purchased music which I cannot edit either. If people like you and Rick have been editing it for TV shows for a couple of years then it might go back to the launch of the new style Get Info in iTunes 12.0, or it could go back earlier.

Tell Apple what you want at iTunes Feedback.

tt2

May 20, 2016 10:23 AM in response to Steve McHargue

lschwarcz & Steve,

In regards to Apple's sloppiness (to put it nicely): the release of the iPhone SE -- a.k.a. "regurgitated iPhone 5" -- has me really concerned about the future of Apple. Steve Jobs would NEVER have allowed the re-rollout of an old product with a new chip.

For 30 years I was a mac-dissing pc nerd, until I jumped off the cliff and into the Apple utopia. Now I've converted every area of my life over to Apple's control, and they, in turn, are more interested in removing religious liberty from our nation's constitution and daily harassing me to upgrade my not-even-close-to-full iCloud storage than in actually creating something new and cool. It is a huge disappointment to say the least, and it makes for a very discouraging outlook on the future.

Rick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.