Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to clear recent items from Preview's menu in Dock

when I click and hold on Preview's icon in the Dock a list of files is presented in the popup menu. The files are not particularly recent and definitely not the most recent. When I view other files the list is not updated. Is there a way to fix this behavior to something that is actually useful or, if not, how can I clear the list of unwanted files?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on May 19, 2016 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2016 4:13 PM

1. Open Preview

2. File > Open Recent > Clear Menu

3. Quit Preview

4. Drag Preview icon from Dock (goes poof) or option remove from Dock

5. Open Preview from Applications folder or Launch Pad option>Keep in Dock

Scroll to the bottom to see the clear menu option

12 replies

May 19, 2016 6:54 PM in response to R.W.R

I think people might be confused about what the OP wants. He/she is not talking about clearing  --> Recent Items, or even the Recent Items menu in that particular app. Rather, when you right-click on the Preview icon in the Dock, they want it to be empty. I have the same problem with TextEdit, and I've had it since the El Capitan upgrade last year. When I open documents in TextEdit, it is not reflected when I right-click on the icon in my Dock. I could open 20 documents right now, close them all, right-click on the TextEdit icon and see none of those 20 documents show up. I've tried all of the aforementioned suggestions to clear it out so I can start all over again, and none of them work.

May 20, 2016 7:27 PM in response to pinkstones

Got it (I think). Evidently I had deleted the image files before closing them in Preview.

my solution: move "com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist" from ~/Library/Preferences to trash then reboot

then put it back in ~/Library/Preferences

Some how Preview or Launch Services or Dock can't resolve aliases for absent files and doesn't update the list

This Solution or some variant thereof should resolve the problem for any Apple application ie TextEdit, QuickTime...

May 20, 2016 7:29 PM in response to R.W.R

R.W.R wrote:

Got it (I think). Evidently I had deleted the image files before closing them in Preview.

my solution: move "com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist" from ~/Library/Preferences to trash then reboot

Some how Preview or Launch Services or Dock can't resolve aliases for absent files and doesn't update the list

This Solution or some variant thereof should resolve the problem for any Apple application ie TextEdit, QuickTime...

Good computing R.W.R !

May 20, 2016 7:30 PM in response to R.W.R

R.W.R wrote:

I'll give this a try and see if works. I've tried everything else, might as well give this a go. 🙂

May 20, 2016 7:48 PM in response to R.W.R

Works for me! 🙂 R.W.R, why don't you stick around and answer more questions, collect valuable points and challenging merit awards?

Wish I could award you the Solved "Greenie".

EDIT: Only thing is I don't think you meant "put it back in ~/Library/Preferences. That would overwrite the fresh pref you created.

May 26, 2016 3:22 PM in response to macjack

sorry for the late response. Shows you how often I check my email.

that's what I thought about a new pref file but when I looked there wasn't one so I took the old one out the trash and opened it in Xcode and it was empty so I stuck it back in Preferences folder. What ever, it got rid of that pesky list.

how to clear recent items from Preview's menu in Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.