Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this system or virus?

My MacBook Pro X 10.6.4 has 8mb ram, empty of any media, yet it shuts down, or goes black when I play any media larger than the size of mobile screen. I emptied the Cache, the NVRAM, used Disk Utility for permissions.

I found these document codes on the system:

2b6ede23-2df8-94fe-749f-38a4819b8282-dinfo-4EJp6l

2b6ede23-2df8-94fe-749f-38a4819b8282-icnt-MzorZm

d0d09c78-1f45-4704-40e3-130f0d366491-dinfo-kBg6ZQ

d0d09c78-1f45-4704-40e3-130f0d366491-icnt-4UkZh2

What are they, and how can I solve the issue above?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 19, 2016 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2016 4:20 AM

RAM - 8 mb or 8 GB?

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2016 4:20 AM in response to Sevetmin

RAM - 8 mb or 8 GB?

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

May 22, 2016 4:22 AM in response to Eric Root

I performed the above and found out it was Drop Box. Also the date of the suspect documents are close to the date of joining Drop Box. I later uninstalled Drop Box from my MacBook, and cancelled my subscription with the software. I had deleted everything related to Drop Box, but the only thing I could not delete because, 'you do not have permission' has been DropboxHelperTools. I unlocked it through Get Info but still could not delete it, nor was able to delete any of the items inside the file individually after unlocking them. How can I get rid of this DropboxHelperTools file or the items within?

DropboxHelperTools

--dbfsventsd

--DropboxBundle.bundle

--FinderLoadBundle

--mach_inject_bundle_stub.bundle

-DropboxHelperinstaller

May 22, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Eric Root

I tried everything on Dropbox before trying this forum and I am back to square one. This is what I did many times:

For our advanced users

(Optional) Uninstall the Dropbox contextual menu:

1. Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift+Command+G).
  2. A dialog box should appear. Copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:

3. /Library

Delete the DropboxHelperTools folder by moving it to the Trash.

(Optional) Removing your Dropbox application settings:

1. Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift+Command+G).
  2. A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:

3. ~/.dropbox

To remove your Dropbox application system settings, select all files in the folder and drag and drop them into the Trash.

The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

The Solution maybe formatting my Macbook Pro which is not feasible at the moment as I am on foreign lands, on the front line of battlefields. Not until I return home to Australia where all my software are. Thank you very much for your quick responses. I REALLLY appreciate your efforts. Thank you a million!

May 22, 2016 10:26 AM in response to Sevetmin

You are welcome. Try going to Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor - if you see an active Dropbox entry, try deleting it.

User File Ownership - Reset see post by Linc Davis

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type: ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.

Repair User Permissions

May 23, 2016 4:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Correct Answer.

Thank you Eric for your tenacity and dedication to helping me in such a very short time. The answer lied in

User File Ownership - Reset see post by Linc Davis

The DropboxHelpersTools as well as the four alien files were deleted instantly.

Still, the screen goes black when a video file is opened larger than a mobile size screen, even though the Macbook Pro X has 8 GB ram with no photos, videos or files on the harddrive. Other than the FCP software, there is nothing on the harddrive. I cleaned the Cache and the Ram a number of times yet nothing changed. Again Eric, thank you. It has been an enlightening fun getting into your beautiful brains and solving the issues with my Macbook.

Is this system or virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.