Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artist missing from Music List on iPhone, but can be found in search

I have kind of a weird one here - I've noticed that at least one artist on my iPhone 6 does not show up in the artist list, but if I search by the artist name, the listing shows up. When I backup to my iTunes, it shows back up in the artist list, but disappears again at some point later.

I have quite a bit of music on my phone, so I'm not sure if anything else is "missing", and I can't think of anything that would effect the information for this particular artist.

Any suggestions? It's driving me crazy!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on May 20, 2016 11:45 AM

2 replies

Jan 25, 2017 2:51 PM in response to Jenna Horan1

I'm having the same exact problem. When browsing through music an artist will be missing. When I search I can find the artist and song I'm looking for.

I've seen the following fixes, neither have worked for me:

1. I found a user who says this is due to "this is part of a compilation" being checked in the song's tag (Get Info Screen).

Opened the column browser (ctrl shift b) and selected compilations.

Selected all, right click, get info, unchecked.

Not sure what else this will screw up, but after doing a sync it didn't fix the issue.

2. Found a user who said the artist needs to be in "Album Artist" in the tag for it to show up.

Not wanting to update each song individually, I found a script (http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp) that went through all 10,000+ songs and copied the artist info to album artist.

Did a sync and this didn't work either.

Can't find any other info or help from Apple. Seems to have started after the apple music upgrade.

Artist missing from Music List on iPhone, but can be found in search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.