Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print from iOS Mail to PDF.

We consider to buy an iPad PRO and replace our family PC, but it's requirement for us to have the possibility to make PDF files also from Apple Mail. I can only print to AirPrint printers. Previously there was an APP making an Virtuel AirPrint PDF printer, this APP does not exist anymore. Do you have other solutions? Copy / Paste the text form an email and paste it into Pages etc. and save as PDF is not an option since it want enclose the mail header. Thanks :-)

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, connecting with Mac Air / Yosemite.

Posted on May 21, 2016 10:23 AM

8 replies

Oct 13, 2017 9:21 AM in response to JBilderbeek

It is possible!

Create PDF

Also new in iOS 10, you’ll now be able to create a PDF from the print panel much like you have long been able to do on the Mac. After selecting Print, you can access the feature by pinching out from the print preview screen with two fingers and hitting the share menu in the upper right corner (or use peek and pop with 3D Touch instead of pinching). Any app that can accept PDF sharing will be under the share menu and you can send your newly created PDF from there.

Source:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/16/ios-10-airprint-bluetooth-beacon-create-pdf-print ing/

Nicely done!

I had been searching for this feature for a while but gave up. I even contacted other developers such as Readdle and no solution at the time. Having a built in PDF printer engine is a great feature in macOS. Nice to see this working in iOS now.

I completed the task on my new iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 11, which is quickly becoming a good replacement for my MacBook Pro. Still keeping the iMac though.

May 21, 2016 11:30 AM in response to simsoe_dk

I'd hold off on getting the iPad Pro until you find the necessary app. There are several eligible apps on the App Store, but as you already know, they may lack specific features that you require.

I don't know your specific computing requirements or machine, but replacing a desktop/laptop with a tablet always involves a loss of functionality.

May 21, 2016 11:44 AM in response to simsoe_dk

I agree with the previous post. IMO a tablet is not a replacement for a computer except for basic work. However Epson and others make specific apps that will print to non-Airprint printers and they function rather well, not as good as a direct Airprint connection but close enough. In my own case I cannot imagine not having a laptop in addition to an iPad.

May 21, 2016 11:53 AM in response to simsoe_dk

23wsimsoe_dk wrote:

Previously there was an APP making an Virtuel AirPrint PDF printer, this APP does not exist anymore.

Sadly, Apple removed those apps a couple of years ago. I was a big fan. I just played around with a couple of possibilities by haven't found anything that will do what you want.

My personal feeling is that an iPad is not, for a great many people, a replacement for a more traditional computer.

Edit: I did a little more research. Spark by Readdle (who made one of those nice conversion apps) may do what you want.

Oct 14, 2016 11:29 AM in response to simsoe_dk

It is possible!

Create PDF

Also new in iOS 10, you’ll now be able to create a PDF from the print panel much like you have long been able to do on the Mac. After selecting Print, you can access the feature by pinching out from the print preview screen with two fingers and hitting the share menu in the upper right corner (or use peek and pop with 3D Touch instead of pinching). Any app that can accept PDF sharing will be under the share menu and you can send your newly created PDF from there.

Source:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/16/ios-10-airprint-bluetooth-beacon-create-pdf-print ing/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.