Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connection failed connect as guest mac to windows 10 shared folder

I have tried setting up as many situations as i can see on the internet to fix this issue, disable firewall, change permissions in windows, add guest account on windows 10, add anonymous logon, disable the sharing wizard so only advanced sharing works. I am stumped. I see the shared computer on my side bar, but cannot access as guest. I can access as a registered user but don't wish this to be the case. I was certain this was working 2 months ago, but for some reason I cannot get it to work now. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), null

Posted on May 21, 2016 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2017 5:02 AM

Same problem. Answer looked like it was going to be some complicated windows 7 server coding blah blah blah. But I came across this answer somewhere and figured I'd try it. Frankly, I can't believe it is the answer, but here it is:

Log in to the windows server/PC not as a guest, but as a user with a password, then put GUEST (very important to use ALL CAPS for whatever stupid reason)... got that? All Caps: GUEST. No password - leave blank. Hit connect. Right in. Craziness.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2017 5:02 AM in response to Papa2Cherries

Same problem. Answer looked like it was going to be some complicated windows 7 server coding blah blah blah. But I came across this answer somewhere and figured I'd try it. Frankly, I can't believe it is the answer, but here it is:

Log in to the windows server/PC not as a guest, but as a user with a password, then put GUEST (very important to use ALL CAPS for whatever stupid reason)... got that? All Caps: GUEST. No password - leave blank. Hit connect. Right in. Craziness.

May 21, 2016 10:28 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Unfortunately I have done all of those steps except using console to diagnose the problem. Presently I am on el capitan and trying to connect to my windows 10 shared folder via guest only. I will try and attempt to connect to it via windows to see if it is visible to them, however under networks on the same computer as the share, it does show the shared folder of downloads. So I am assuming it is set up correctly however, the guest access is not being allowed. Yes I turned off needing password to connect to this computer's shared folders in advanced settings of windows, but for some reason every time I try to "connect as guest" it does not work.

Jun 1, 2016 8:53 PM in response to Papa2Cherries

I thought I am the only on who has this problem! My situation is the same. It was working well weeks ago and it stopped working after I upgraded to the latest OSX. I tried everything... network, setting on the shared windows. nothing work. However, my colleague who is using windows has no problem connecting to the shared computer (connect as guest, no password needed). So I guess the problem relates to Mac somehow.

We need help.

Nov 5, 2016 12:04 PM in response to dechip

TThis is so lame from Apple. This problem occurred as a result of an El Capitan update and still persists through Sierra. My Windows shares have no password as a myriad of devices need easy access. All work apart from the iMac. Apparently the Mac os wants a password due to its nature of authenticating. Grrrr! I'm not changing things just accommodate the Mac OS no longer liking guest connections. Luckily prior to apple breaking this I had mapped / created an alias to a shared folder on the Windows pc on the desktop of the Mac. Clicking this grants me access and then allows me to close out. Then I can access the Windows machine in the finder just fine until next login anyway. It obviously overrides the Mac desperation to authenticate temporarily. A rubbish workaround.
<Edited by Host>

connection failed connect as guest mac to windows 10 shared folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.