Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to save movies on a flash drive. What do I need to do this for IPad Air 2?

I want to watch movies on my IPad Air 2 on an airline trip but I don't have much memory. I was going to download movies to a compatible flash drive. What would I need to do to watch the movies. Also what equipment would I need to buy? PNY or SanDisk 64 GB flash drive better?

IPad Air 2-OTHER, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on May 22, 2016 9:58 AM

14 replies

May 23, 2016 3:22 PM in response to Michelenr

If these are commercial movies, you will not be able to play/stream these movies from these Flash drives.

Playing/streaming from external storage sources used to be possible, but Apple coded out that functionality in iOS 8 developement.

So, whatnever movies you have on those flash drives, you would have to transfer the movie you wish to watch back to the iPad, where it will get transferred to the iOS Videos app where you can play and watch your movie.

May 27, 2016 5:46 PM in response to Michelenr

Did you download the App for the Wireless flash drive first?

Found here.

Connect Drive by SanDisk

https://appsto.re/us/I8v57.i

You will need to turn the drive on with the thin little button that is on one of the sides of the drive.

This turns the drive on and activates the drive's WIfi signal.

Then on your iPad Settings app under WiFi and look for for drive's name in the Wifi device list and choose the drive name to connect to this drive to its own WIFi signal.

Once your iPad is connected to the drive over the drive's own WiFi, a checkmark will appear next to the drive's name confirmimg the WiFi connection.

Then go back to your iPad's apps on the home screen at tap/launch the SanDisk App.

A bunch of categories show up in the right hand colunm.

Look for the movies or videos category.

Your movie/s should be listed and you should be able to select/tap a movie/video and an option or button to tap to transfer the movie to your iPad should appear.

Jun 3, 2016 8:25 PM in response to Michelenr

I am not sure how any of these video apps work.

I don't use these apps.

I get all my purchased video content from Apple iTunes.

If these apps give you the ability to pay to download the video content to your iPad, then you need to do this first, then see where this content goes,

If the content you download to your iPad stays in its particular video app (and not downloaded to the iOS Video app for iTunes video purchases) then I am not sure how you would transfer this video app specific content to the flash drive.

You have need to contact the content providers of each app and ask them once the video content is downloaded inside of the app to your iPad, if it can be saved or transferred to a wireless external storage device.

Good Luck!

Jun 6, 2016 7:53 PM in response to Michelenr

Actually, I am now emcountering a similar issue to yours

I can get the iTunes movies onto the SanDisk drive, but when I try to download them to the iPad, it won't download to the Videos app, but to the my Camera Roll where it doesn't want to seem to play.

I have a bunch of DVDs I converted myself and these will stream from the SanDisk drive right from inside the SanDisk App, but none of my purchased iTunes content wants to cooperate.

SanDisk just updated their app, again, so I wonder if this is the issue or it's Apple, again, putting limits on how movie/tv content will be handled on Mobile devices.

This ***** now for both of us. You are probably just going to have to sync up to iTunes and put those movies on your iPad if I can't find a resolution to this.

I haven' t used the newest SanDisk app with this drive in the last two months, but I had no issues getting purchased iTunes content on and off my iPad.

SanDisk changed something to now prevent iTunes content to even be downloaded back to the proper location on the iPad so it can be played properly from the iPad.

I am soooo peaved that this is no longer working, I can tell you!

P.O.ed!

This has got be Apple again, and/or SanDisk that created this new mess!

I feel your frustration.

This is a brand new issues and now I see why you have been having issues.

This previously wasn't a big issue/problem.

Somebody, once again, changed something was working to now preventing this from working!

Maaaaaan!

Sorry, but I didn't realise the extent of this issue.

I now know.

Trying to ascertain whether there is another workaround for this issue, now!

Sorry.

I want to save movies on a flash drive. What do I need to do this for IPad Air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.