Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications pushed to screen

I just bought my Apple Watch and I'm still learning so bear with me.

Short one though: is there any way for notifications to appear in the screen without tapping on it? Like when they appear in the iPhone when the screen is locked.

I have read about notifications privacy, red dots and not having the iPhone unlocked and using (so they appear there instead of the Watch).

Thanks!

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.2.1

Posted on May 22, 2016 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2016 10:44 AM

Hi

You might wish to use the following settings. With this configuration, an incoming notification will be displayed in summary form (email or message) when you raise your wrist upon receiving the notification alert (without needing to tap the screen) and in full if you keep your wrist raised for a few seconds:

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wrist Detection - turn this on.

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode > Turn Passcode on (choose either a Simple Passcode or a more complex one).

- Also on the Passcode settings screen, enable Unlock with iPhone.

After putting it on your wrist, your watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone.

It will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you remove your watch, it will lock automatically.

More information:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd748b87e2a

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2016 10:44 AM in response to mabaeyens

Hi

You might wish to use the following settings. With this configuration, an incoming notification will be displayed in summary form (email or message) when you raise your wrist upon receiving the notification alert (without needing to tap the screen) and in full if you keep your wrist raised for a few seconds:

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wrist Detection - turn this on.

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode > Turn Passcode on (choose either a Simple Passcode or a more complex one).

- Also on the Passcode settings screen, enable Unlock with iPhone.

After putting it on your wrist, your watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone.

It will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you remove your watch, it will lock automatically.

More information:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd748b87e2a

May 22, 2016 10:46 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Hey @Jonathan UK,

Great, all those are done! I had switched off Wrist Detection as I was trying it while charging, and it was prompting for unlock every time I tried everything (the Watch was 52% charged and upgrading to 2.2.1 and syncing apps from iPhone, it was a bit annoying).

Does this have any impact in battery life? I also switched off Wake Screen on Wrist Raise for this same reason.

Thanks again!

May 22, 2016 11:02 AM in response to mabaeyens

Those settings should not adversely impact battery life.

Should you find that the screen is waking from sleep more often than you require, it may help to calibrate your watch. Calibration can help to improve the accuracy of various estimations made by your watch by teaching it how your arm moves when you are walking and/or running.

- Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

If the screen still wakes more often than you require, you can turn off Wake Screen on Wrist Raise without also needing to turn off Wrist Detection (which is required - for example - along with a passcode, in order to use Apple Pay on your watch).

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > General > Wake Screen > turn off Wake Screen on Wrist Raise.

Jun 15, 2016 12:56 PM in response to Jonathan UK

This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I followed your instructions, but the watch is locked every time I raise it to my wrist. I called Apple support about this, and they say that with the new software updates, this is normal behavior. In other words, if you have a passcode set, you have to put in your password every single time you raise your wrist and trying to do something (e.g., glances).

Notifications pushed to screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.