Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall MacKeeper

I have tried everything you suggested to clean out my computer from MacKeeper but it keeps coming back the virus

What should I do?

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)

Posted on May 22, 2016 1:19 PM

108 replies

Aug 17, 2018 1:45 PM in response to marimer

ATTENTION: since this topic is over a year old each of you should create your own separate topic, give the details of what you're trying to remove and download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

This way each of you will get personalized responses and it won't be so difficult to follow the thread.

However, the correct solution was posted by macjack on 5/22 @ 1:20 PM.

OR download and run Malwarebytes. It's capable of removing known adware and malware.

User uploaded file

Aug 23, 2018 9:13 AM in response to marimer

You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name and the developer's name in the file name. For example for MacKeeper you'd do two searches:

1 - Name contains mackeeper

2 - Name contains zeobit

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

User uploaded file

Sep 16, 2017 7:37 AM in response to sebjleach

You're welcome. Often old posts are resurrected a year or longer after the fact. The folks who originally answered may no longer be around and often new and better solutions are available. It's usually best to start your own topic in this case. You'll get more attention that way and not be stuck in a topic going nowhere.

Jan 2, 2018 4:56 AM in response to macjack

AS of now 2018, I was unable to make the steps happen when uninstalling makkeeper, the miserable, mersa like virus.I go into library, or any place I seen mackeeper and delete it but it always. repeat, always comes back. There has to be a registry somewhere where I can go in and remove this crap. On Microsoft they had reg edit, that showed and listed software etal. I know I can go to library but that seems to be superficial. Can you give me a serious fix on this. I don't want to go to a repair man. I am somewhat well versed in computers and feel I can handle this. Any insight would be good. Thanks for any answer.

Jan 23, 2018 3:24 AM in response to marimer

Its easy to remove Mackeeper from MAC.

Go to FINDER > APPLICATIONS > SELECT MACKEEPER > CMD+DELETE

But sometimes you’ll stuck with Mackeeper Virus which may interrupt you in Safari & other browsers after uninstalling it. And people / Service Center suggests you to reinstall MacOS.

Before that try this steps:

Install MalwareByte and remove all the files which are related to Mackeeper by Scanning.

After that, Install CleanMyMac software and clean everything and uninstall MalwareByte from CleanMyMac. And uninstall CleanMyMac and Restart your Mac.

I hope this will help you to solve your issue. It worked for me, hope that will work for you too.

May 8, 2018 11:03 AM in response to macjack

As, I've replied in this thread a few time in the past 2 years. The answer is simple, just run the free Malwarebytes.

macjack wrote:

You are replying to a person who is no longer here and hasn't been for a year. Suggest you use the easy way as I posted. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac will detect MacKeeper as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Software) and will remove the app and all of its components.

How to uninstall MacKeeper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.