Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphical artifacts on MBP 2012 13" requiring shutdown - help!

Hi,

I'm having the following graphical errors on my MBP 2012 13". Can you please give me your assessment?

User uploaded file

Specs:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
  • OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
  • 2.5 Ghz Core i5
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
  • 8 GB 1333 MHz RAM

It has 8GB aftermarket RAM at 1333 MHz instead of 1600 MHz (supported) -- was told this is OK and had no problems with it or the SSD for a few months after the upgrade. This graphical problem is new and I don't think it's related.

• 512 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (aftermarket)

Sometimes I also experience massive choppiness and lag in CS: Source, even though my ping is often low (sub-100, sub-50, or sub-30). Not sure if this is related.

Note: This isn't dependent on being plugged into the monitor. In the past few days, it has happened 3 times, 2 of which were on another monitor and in a different user account.

Whenever this happens, I have to press the power button to restart. It seems that the computer gets very hot too.

Please help! What am I dealing with here?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), NA

Posted on May 22, 2016 2:12 PM

6 replies

Graphical artifacts on MBP 2012 13" requiring shutdown - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.