Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone: How to Reset Mail Cache?

I recently went through and cleaned my gmail account; deleting all emails from before 2014. When I opened the mail app on my iPhone, I noticed that mail showing up on my phone is a scattered set of dates throughout different years. I scrolled to the top to and then to the bottom of the list to try to get it to reload some messages to no avail. It would seem to be a problem with how the iPhone downloads IMAP folders, but unfortunately I can not find a way to clear and reload all of my mail.

I tried going into settings and turning off my account, resetting the phone, and then turning mail back on.

I tried deleting my mail account, resetting the phone, then logging back in.

I ran an iOS software update that had been queuing just to see if it might clean up after itself.

Before each of the above I checked in Usage/Storage and my "Mail and Attachments" was 54MB and was still 54MB after I supposedly deleted my mail.

Is there any way to actually reset the mail folders and force them to redownload so that I can actually view my emails?

(Also, Apple, please allow some sort of file or memory management in the next iOS)

Thanks!!

iPhone 5c

iOS 9.3.2

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.3.2, null

Posted on May 22, 2016 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2017 4:20 AM

Hi,

Please let me know how you resolved this issue. The mail app on my iPad mini seems to have talked about 14gb of my space and I have no idea why. I have deleted the mail accounts etc and it still showing 14gb consumed by mail. I need to really get my storage space back. Help!

10 replies

May 22, 2016 8:02 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for that, though I already tried the first two reset options and the third seems a bit unnecessary for something this trivial.

I actually did just find a solution, though it was a bit round-about...

If you go into settings and turn off mail push from server and then go back to the mail app and scroll to the bottom several times, it will download any missing messages. Then go back to settings and turn push back on so you actually receive mail automatically.

Jun 9, 2016 8:03 AM in response to Michael_Pascale

In the future to reset the Mail cache try this:

First close your Mail App completely from the app switcher window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Mail preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. Then go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. On the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

iPhone: How to Reset Mail Cache?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.