Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac white screen vertical pinstripes

I was using my iMac yesterday as usual. Browsing the internet, listening to music through iTunes when all of a sudden the screen 'glitched'. I had vertical stripes on the screen, the picture was broken up and I couldn't interact with anything. I rebooted the iMac and it still had vertical stripes on the screen. I could see the apple icon and the loading bar which was duplicated/broken up on the screen. Once the progress/loading bar reached 100%, I just got a white screen. I had to go out and when I returned 5 hours later the iMac still had the same issue.

Some of the things I've tried are;

1. Leaving everything unplugged for a few hours, reconnecting everything and booting up again (wishful thinking).

2. Holding CMD+SHIFT+R+P after turning the iMac on then running Disc Utility on the iMac HD. I get a "This Disc needs to be repaired" message but unfortunately after clicking "Repair Disc" the tools runs for a bit before telling me "Disc Utility can't repair this disc" (screenshot attached).

I was going to try "Reinstall Mac OS X" for Mac OS X Utilities (CMD+SHIFT+R+P) but it kept telling me I couldn't as I wasn't connected to the internet? Also I was worried this might delete all my files?

The most important thing I'd like to do is get the files off the hard drive. I'm hoping that's possible as although I can't get to the desktop it looks like I can access the drive in Disc Utilities. I've heard I might be able to connect a macbook to the damaged iMac and get the files off it that way? Is this achievable using a Firewire cable?

Cheers, hope someone can share some advice.

Steve

Photos of messed up display:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 23, 2016 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2016 1:33 AM

You might be able to get to the desktop to recover files by booting into Safe Mode Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

If that doesn't work it may be possible to recover your files using Firewire Target Disk Mode How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

5 replies

May 24, 2016 1:37 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks a lot. I haven't tried Safe Mode yet but I borrowed a Macbook so I could connect it to my damaged iMac via Firewire. Hold "T" when the iMac booted up successfully let me use it as a hard drive for the Macbook.

I've managed to back-up all the folders I know of. I was thinking about copying the entire Library folder as well, as there might be some items I want stored in there. Is this where Apple stores all the photos you have saved in "Photos"? I couldn't find them anyway.

I guess the next step is to get myself a Genius appointment at my local Apple store and get it checked out.

Thanks again!

May 26, 2016 12:51 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks, I'll create a new post for Photos then.

Just to add to my previous update. I was able to boot into Safe Mode, login and get to the desktop - though it was hard to operate due to the screen being so messed up! Was made worse by all the items I had on my desktop at the time I think.

I'll get get booked in at my local Apple store and see what the damage is. First thoughts are it's the graphics card or the logic board.

iMac white screen vertical pinstripes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.